Nate's Hotair plan

natethegreat85

drive fast, take chances
I'm starting this thread for my build and any questions I run into. I've been searching the site and reading a lot. My wife has given me the green light to start the fun ;). My goal: a strong street car (93 octane) on a budget. Won't be at the track much at all, but would like to be in the mid 12s or faster. I'd like to stay with the new SS, GTs, and Hemis.

I've got a walbro hotwired. that's pretty much it. Going to get a F body rad and electric fan (won't be ECM controlled) this week to keep it on the road while I collect parts - Please add on to my list or correct my list, including parts or machine work, to help me out.

87 ECM upgrade with MAF
TT chip
Scanmaster
Coil/Ignition upgrade
60 lb injectors
AEM wideband
TA33c
3" DP
206/206 cam kit
.30 pistons
EA stage 1 2004r

This will probably be the order I buy everything since the first 4 I can do while still driving the car until this winter. It'll give me time to tune and enjoy the car a little. Next summer I plan to have everything needed to rebuild the engine. Looking forward to that because these leaks are driving me crazy. :mad: Was trying to stay away from alky, but if its needed to keep up with the other cars, then so be it! Wish me luck! -Nate

If you've got a Buick turbo car you can try to stay on "budget" but I hope you have kids you can put into indentured service.:D

I'm starting this thread for my build and any questions I run into. I've been searching the site and reading a lot. My wife has given me the green light to start the fun ;). My goal: a strong street car (93 octane) on a budget. Won't be at the track much at all, but would like to be in the mid 12s or faster. :mad: Was trying to stay away from alky, but if its needed to keep up with the other cars, then so be it! Wish me luck! -Nate

If you think you can do that without alky then you're fooling yourself.:confused:

I agree with dropping the Scanmaster for a powerlogger and you are fooling yourself without Alky. I would add a wideband O2 which will make tuning alot easier. You will then achieve your goals. brad

Scan master is ok but i would look into the Powerlogger for data logging.

Get TT WB chip

You want 12's put a set of max ported irons from nick @ Arizonagn.com
Cam i would ask nick as well

As for upgrading the Coil, thats a waste IMOP. i went low 11's on a stock coil and then i was getting popping. Come to find out it was a bad plug wire. I decided to upgrade everything instead of figuring out the problem. once i ohmed the wires, one was bad, very bad

Alky, being me i would try and get 12's without it. Thats just me ;)

Scan master is ok but i would look into the Powerlogger for data logging.

Get TT WB chip

You want 12's put a set of max ported irons from nick @ Arizonagn.com
Cam i would ask nick as well

As for upgrading the Coil, thats a waste IMOP. i went low 11's on a stock coil and then i was getting popping. Come to find out it was a bad plug wire. I decided to upgrade everything instead of figuring out the problem. once i ohmed the wires, one was bad, very bad

Alky, being me i would try and get 12's without it. Thats just me ;)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll keep my coil then and look into a powerlogger. I don't have Windows on any of my computers (all Macs), but I'll see if it will work. And I'll try to tune and get as fast as I can without alky, then we'll see.;)

I remember a thread a while back someone saying they wished they would have built up and tried harder with the hot air motor instead of going straight to intercooled. So that's what I'm going to try to do!

............ And I'll try to tune and get as fast as I can without alky, then we'll see.;)
I remember a thread a while back someone saying they wished they would have built up and tried harder with the hot air motor instead of going straight to intercooled. So that's what I'm going to try to do!

You know, Boost 231 is correct . . . . . based on a closer review.
With ported heads, a good cam, 12 PSI boost, locked converter, no alky, NO KR, you may be able to run 105MPH, which is around 12.6
MAT's will be in the 230's. I may need to try that . . . . someday :p

might want to add a

PTC Converter to the list.

Also why would you not want the ECM to control the fans. Its a plug in play system. Forgetting to turn on the fans could be bad very bad

might want to add a

PTC Converter to the list.

Also why would you not want the ECM to control the fans. Its a plug in play system. Forgetting to turn on the fans could be bad very bad

I thought about letting the ECM control the fans, but after reading some threads about some relays blowing, it makes me nervous. I'm probably just overreacting, but I know a flexalite kit and a radiator probe gets the job done on my dad's 425 olds, and it never gets above 200 in TX heat. So with that, I'm just going with what I'm comfortable with.

what is better for driving around town or highway trips? lock or nonlock convertors?

Nate, make sure to join in at the power tour which ends at the cryboys stadium.;) I'll be there on Saturday as well a several TB.com members that may be able to help you out with your build. I'm not that far from you if you want to learn how to port your heads and I'd be happy to teach you how.:cool: Got the tools and the space so PM me if you're interested.:)