Narrowed down to 2 cams..anyone use these?

Adrian87

Comp Cams Ductile Iron Roller setup

206/206 .496/.496 110lsa
or
212/212 .504/.504 110lsa

I will have Champion heads, PTE FMIC, TE45A turbo (I think), 9x11 3200 stall, am I splitting hairs or would there be a spool difference/power band difference, etc..just trying to get it right, I plan to order it on Monday.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/110-113.asp

down the page, new high energy hydraulic roller cams..

Since you have ported head I would go with the 212 if these are your two choices.

hybrid85 said:
do a search on the ductile iron rollers on ALL the boards before you buy.

I thought the problems were with the earlier batches which were cast, the new cams are SADI core Selectively Austempered Ductile Iron, have these been problematic?

Adrian87 said:
I thought the problems were with the earlier batches which were cast, the new cams are SADI core Selectively Austempered Ductile Iron, have these been problematic?

I have not heard of any issues with the new cams.

sorry about thay, i ment for which one to pick for your combo, lots of roller users out there.

again..

i have that 212/212..

With a 45 expect to push 25+ lbs of boost to get'r going...

the 67 makes the same power at lower boost levels...aka more street friendly...

...just my opinion..ask mark what he thinks..if you can get a deal on a 45 then grab it...

i'll will be in tulsa next weekend and plan to go out to mark's to visit with him for awhile...i'll check the ride when i'm there...

I did elaborate research and reading on the new cams before i bought one...no one has had any problems, either have i.

As for that 9x11 converter...i'm not a big fan...ask mark about his 9x11...if you make big power you'll blow right thru it...they wont hold WOT lock up...in a big HP application...big hp being faster than 11.50's or so...IMO

I have a 212-206 Comp billet roller forsale if interested. Has been Mid 10's in my street car. Everything but lifters 400.00. ;)

218/212 here. Not even one tank of gas thry the all new engine so can't say much about it except it sounds and seems to act at very light throttle (just driving around) like the stock cam, a 204/214 FT, a 224/224 FT. Well it does take a tiny bit more revs before it clears out of the rump from idle but I probably only notice it because of the holes in my way old exhaust system :)

I have had the comp 206 roller in my engine for four years now. It has gone 10.69 with it. I am stepping up to a comp 218/218. The 206 just seems to run out of power at 5700 rpm and I am at 5700 before the 1000 ft mark.

I have a 218/212 comp duct. roller cam and lifters coming up for sale soon ..It has ~ 700 miles on it .. we are going a different route with the entire combo

with your combo theres no need to go with them smaller cams you listed

give me a call monday if interested as I'll have to get with the owner on a price

?

I dont know why people spend the extra money on rollers. For a street car, I would stick with hydrollic set up. Call isky.

TURBOELKY said:
I dont know why people spend the extra money on rollers. For a street car, I would stick with hydrollic set up. Call isky.

Because its the cool thing to do...Less friction is the first thing, plus freedom to increase the ramp up on the the lobe with a roller. They put rollers in most everything. Even my 1988 4.3L GMC had a hyd roller cam from the factory...

i would go bigger 218/221 i went with conleys cam , i love it ,my brother has even a bigger cam in his cutlass with an iron headed motor he runs mid tens with low boost like 22lbs , and the car spools like a bitch , he has a 224/224 custom grind cam !

With the Comp Cams ductile roller cams and lifters available in many grinds at a very reasonable price it would be foolish to use a flat tappet IMO, the added performance you'll get is well worth the couple extra bucks reliability is just a bonus.