NAPA sucks

Joe 1320

Torqueus Maximus
At least in Florida it does. The Beldon plug wires (which are actually pretty good) I purchased years back, come with a lifetime warranty. Monday of this last week I called them for a replacement set as mine crapped out last weekend, they tell me the the closest set is in Charlotte and they will be there on Friday. I showed up this morning, "Don't know what happened, we don't have them. The closest set is in Kentucky and will be here next Thursday. Do you want me to order them?" WTF? Of course I want you to order them. :mad:

Good thing I went to my local Advance Auto parts last Monday and purchased a backup set (lifetime warranty as well) , they weren't in stock but had them the next day. I wasn't going to chance the car being down for a week which would now have been two weeks while NAPA screws around.

NAPA service sucks. Some of their parts are good, but their service leaves quite a bit to be desired.

NAPA service sucks. Some of their parts are good, but their service leaves quite a bit to be desired.[/QUOTE]

What i've learned over the years of dealing with the sales people at the auto parts stores is that some of them don't know or care about their jobs or helping customers in general.

But like i said it's some of them not all,i've had some very good experiences at some stores from sales people who really knew what they were doing and it made life easy on that day.

One experience i remember was at an autozone store. I asked the young man if he had an item in stock and he looked it up on the screen and said no,i asked him if he could order it and how long would it take,he told me that actually the part wasn't available in their system and he couldn't order it.

I said ok,no problem. I'm just going to browse around the store a bit since i'm here and haven't been in for awhile.

While i was looking around another sales person asked if he could help me find something, i told him what i had originally came in for and he said, oh we have some of those in stock, it took him less than 5 minutes to complete my transaction and i was out the door with it in hand. I don't remember what the part was but it was for the Turbo Regal.

Not all sales people are the same,don't just take the word from the first one that tells you they don't have something.;)

except for one know-it-all idiot that told me that my Regal couldn't possibly have a 200-4r trans in it when i was trying to find a pan gasket and filter for it, i've never had a bad experience at a NAPA. of course every NAPA i've ever been in has been one of the old and dirty stores that smell like grease- like every auto parts store should- and had old dudes behind the counter that know their way around the NAPA computers and books.. one of my favorite NAPA stores just happens to be one of the main warehouses for most of the state, so they always have everything in stock. but that one is over 100 miles away from where i currently live, so i don't get there too often.

NAPA is an acronym for:

Not
All
Parts
Available

:biggrin:

Sorry couldn't help it...but maybe this will brighten your day.

of course every NAPA i've ever been in has been one of the old and dirty stores that smell like grease- like every auto parts store should- and had old dudes behind the counter that know their way around the NAPA computers and books..

Yep, same at my NAPA store.....the old guy there behind the counter had a name tag that said "J. Hoffa." I said you're not that Hoffa are you? He said, "Keep it down, kid, keep it down. Just fugettaboutit!":p

Bruce '87 Grand National

NAPA does suck. I try to avoid them but they do have some items stocked that other ph's don't.

Where I live, we have a NAPA store and an independently owned parts store that is part of a local chain. The guy who owns the NAPA is a one-man show, with his girlfriend helping him out and a young kid delivering parts. He's always friendly, helpful, and if you need something he doesn't have, he will run to a store that does and get it for you. He also sells firearms :):) How many parts stores can you go into to pick up and oil filter and a box of .223 ammo???

The guy who manages the indy store can be a real prick. I've known him since I was buying parts in there in high school and his attitude hasn't changed in 15 years. They too keep a pretty good inventory, but NAPA is usually cheaper on the same parts by a couple of bucks (SKF bearings, seals, FELPRO gaskets, etc.). The indy store also sells electronics, which does come in handy on occasion. I work one weekend a month for this indy chain in the next town over, which reminds me, I better get off the pc and get there :biggrin: The problem in my area is that the indy is open Sundays, and on Sundays all you get is shadetree idiots that want to cobble crap back together and farmers who want compression fittings to fix a rusty brake line. At least its only 9-3....

To the OP, have you considered AC Delco wires? Not only is there a service parts line, but they also offer an all-makes line which is a different p/n and less expensive. I've done side-by-side comparisons with both sets and see nothing physically different. If you like, I can get you that p/n tomorrow when I go to work - at the GM dealer :biggrin:

I actually like my local napa store. I was able to order a carb rebuild kit from them. Was really suprised I could, took a while to find it but I was able to get it. Got some real wierd shape AC fittings through them too. Theres 4 parts stores in my town of about 13000, and NAPA is the one Ive found that doesnt look at me wierd when I order carb/turbo parts. My only complaint is they charge shipping on some of the wierd stuff.

The local "race" shop that you can get your nitrous refilled and order methanol from got me a 2 barrel carb gasket when I ordered a 4 barrel one. But they mix paint and have more performance stuff oriented.

Thankfully my town doesnt have an auto-zone, oreily's or any huge parts store chains.

Our local NAPA sells lots of parts to garages and repair shops so they attempt to get it right the first time.

Pep Boys not so much. :p

It's easier to ask for a custom or obscure part as they allow me to look through the books etc., when at Pep Boys if it ain't on the rack or listed under Turbo Buick 1987 in the puter you ain't gonna find it easy.