Name that Part!!!!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
Been having a noise/vibration that I thought was a bad trans mount. Got some new tires on the car and I asked them to check the mount, well the owner comes out and brings me in the back. The problem was not the mount, there is a bracket that bolts around the transmission and attaches near/on the rear end (was looking at an angle so I couldn't get a great view). What is that bar called? Is it attached by a bushing or do I just have to tighten that piece? Any help is appreciated before I get this sucker in the air.

Runs down with the driveshaft? Tortion Bar. Check the spelling. Sort of a long triangle shape?

Thanks Dtridente. How are things S6, I occassionally like to put my lack of mechanical expertise on display. :wink:

It's called a torque arm. On the TTA it mounts to the trans crossmember. There should be a rubber isolator on it to stop vibration.

Could be that the bolt that clamps the bracket (with one half of the bushing) on the transmission xross member is loose so needs to be tightened (bit hard to get too so paitnece needed).

Other thing is that the bushing is worn and needs replacing. And bad news is there is no GM oem replacement so you would need to get the poly torque arm busshing from energy suspension (don't try the prothane bushing as it won't fit), this is a one piece design and you will need to remove the complete transmission cross member to be able to remove the OEM bushing halfs as they are rivited in place and need to be drilled or grinded off.

I can post pictures of what it all looks like.

Bill Owen who designed all this told us at the reunion that the reason the torque arm bushing sits there on the side and not attached directly to the transmission as on other fbodies were due to serious vibrations in the early prototypes and only cure was to move the torque arm bushing mount hence the design of the xmember :)

Thanks for the info everybody. Bushing is probably history but I will check. :)