NA Camshaft Questions

willitell

Naturally Aspirated
I was looking at camshafts online, and I read on the poston site:
"1975 and later V6 engines require that the guides be cut down on camshafts with door lifts above .420". "
Is this correct? Edelbrock makes no mention of it in the instructions for their Performer plus cam which makes .448in (int) / .472 (exh) of lift.
I have 8445 heads on there now, anyone know what valve lift they'll be good to without machine work?

Not really an essential question, just kinda curious.

Also I was wondering if anyone could suggest cams to consider. I've looked at the offerings from Comp Cams, Voodoo, Poston, Isky, Elgin Industries Pro-Stock and Edelbrock. I'll be blatantly honest here, I don't know which one would work the best.
I'm just looking for something to wake up the motor. Headers are on now, CR will probably remain stock, rearend will get swapped for a 3.23 - 3.73, and a new stall converter will go in (over the summer when I'm doing the cam work).

I searched and couldn't find anything. If you guys just want to give me some links to read I've got nothing but time.

Thanks Again,
Will

I have heard conflicting stories on this as well. I have known a few people with 8445 heads that haven't needed the guides cut. It may have been when the statement "1975 and later V6 engines require that the guides be cut down on camshafts with door lifts above .420" was made that this was after 1975 but before the 8445 heads were introduced and the literature was never updated.

Bottom line: have the retainer to guide clearance checked. You will probably want to take the heads off to freshen them up and get the guides cut for better seals anyway or switch to bronze guides.

As far as cam selection, the larger cam you go, the more gear you will want/need, but also you will need more compression to make the cam work. The Edelbrock cam is a good choice as is the Poston .420 lift cam for stock compression. I guess the upside to the Poston cam is you wouldn't even have to pull the heads to check the clearance as you know this cam will work without needing the guides cut.

Hope this helps.

Aaron