N/A 3.8 turbo conversion ??

Thanks for reminding me of my blown engines of fun times past Charlie.

Ah ha an NA build for close to 300hp:

8445 heads mild pocket ported "optional"
stock bore hyper fed-mog buick 350 piston adapts directly and bumps compression up to 9.5:1
Dual plane intake manifold "edel"
500-600 cfm carb
cam with lobe separation tween 108-110 degrees with around 210 duration @.050" lift
double roller timing set
stock ignition.
headers

Thanks for reminding me of my blown engines of fun times past Charlie.

Ah ha an NA build for close to 300hp:

8445 heads mild pocket ported "optional"
stock bore hyper fed-mog buick 350 piston adapts directly and bumps compression up to 9.5:1
Dual plane intake manifold "edel"
500-600 cfm carb
cam with lobe separation tween 108-110 degrees with around 210 duration @.050" lift
double roller timing set
stock ignition.
headers

Not trying to be mean Adam but the three of us have been there before. He doesn't want that much power so it will be easier to go NA and cheaper in the long run.:biggrin:

yeah i just want to get the car moving and i thought that a turbo would be the easy way of geting 100 hp but if a cam,4bbl ,headers and a couple of bolt ons will get me there i would be more then happy .

thanks

yeah i just want to get the car moving and i thought that a turbo would be the easy way of geting 100 hp but if a cam,4bbl ,headers and a couple of bolt ons will get me there i would be more then happy .

thanks

before we go anyfarther....

what is your location?

what is you mechanical experiance?

can you build a motor?

your already in NA mode, how well does it run like that? smokey? oily? wheezy? etc etc

I still think the turbo motor will get you what you want easier than the NA build, and is going to only cost a few hundred more but will require more work.

it all depends on the engine you have now.

Cause in MY HUMBLE OPINION ---- I would take your NA block (provided the bore is good) throw a set of good used 86/87 slugs in it, 83 turbo and adapter, weiand intake(sell ya an adapter or Email the pattern), holley carb, PAW cam and a quicky head build. cheep gasket set, fresh bearings, quick oilpump build .................... bam 300hp.

and its fresh.

And Charlie.......... I only lost an engine cause my distributor was all f*ckerd up and sent the timing to the moon!!!! LMAO....... it was a free engine anyhow.

:biggrin:A.j.

i live in easterm canada .i am a machanic by trade so i got that covered . and i have build a 4-5 sbc's before from pan to carb so i can build motors.
this car is a roller as we speak but i found a 2bbl 3.8 for free to put in it so i am going to get that done first(the motor run's great but was swaped out for a v8) and my car being a buick i would like a buick motor and a buick v8 is a rare find around here . but the v6 are a dime a dozen .

A Buick (V8 or V6) is a little harder to build than an SBC. It really requires you to know what you're doing if you go turbo. The turbo isn't hard but it can cause problems. I know you blew up because of timing Aj but I was just saying that it's really easy to make or have a mistake happen if you're not careful. One of the best things you can do is port the heads. that by itself is a big help and if you add a good cam, headers, and a 4 barrel you're halfway there. Once you do that then if you're not happy go turbo. This will give you the experience and make the engine stronger before you add more power. Then all you'd have to do is get the intake ect for the turbo.

A Buick (V8 or V6) is a little harder to build than an SBC. It really requires you to know what you're doing if you go turbo. The turbo isn't hard but it can cause problems. I know you blew up because of timing Aj but I was just saying that it's really easy to make or have a mistake happen if you're not careful. One of the best things you can do is port the heads. that by itself is a big help and if you add a good cam, headers, and a 4 barrel you're halfway there. Once you do that then if you're not happy go turbo. This will give you the experience and make the engine stronger before you add more power. Then all you'd have to do is get the intake ect for the turbo.

thats a perfect answer.

+1 with try a few mods first and we will see what happens!

A.j.

OK guys I'm rebuilding a 3.8 NA block and I'm on the heads stage. So I need some ideas on the porting. Does anyone have a good post?

OK guys I'm rebuilding a 3.8 NA block and I'm on the heads stage. So I need some ideas on the porting. Does anyone have a good post?

There are some excelent posts in the engine section, one of them is a sticky. I haven't finished mine yet but I posted a start on mine here in the B4B section. If I get more done tomorow or Sunday I'll see about updating it so you can see.:biggrin:

thanks

I have a bunch of n/a 4.1 stuff if your intrested. I bought a complete motor for my gn and i have no need for the top end. I have the original quadrajet 4 bl carb and intake ill take 70$ for both, also have the distributor and really nice exhaust manifolds if your intrested?

I have a bunch of n/a 4.1 stuff if your intrested. I bought a complete motor for my gn and i have no need for the top end. I have the original quadrajet 4 bl carb and intake ill take 70$ for both, also have the distributor and really nice exhaust manifolds if your intrested?

Pics would be very helpful Vader. I got burned on one of my 4.1 intake deals.:mad:

I got the intake but the water outlet has so much corrosion you could never get it to seal without welding it up and machining it down.

I got the intake but the water outlet has so much corrosion you could never get it to seal without welding it up and machining it down.

thats lame.... dont feel bad, It looks like i am going to get screwed by "Bad85Regal" and 240 bucks. im out a dizzy, intake and carb.

way pissed.

its that time of the year when people do desperate things and make stupid decisions.

oh well.

A.j.

Well the holidays are here again and people are trying get extra money I guess. Sorry to see you get ripped and it's not a minor amount like the $10 PEVR I should've recieved by now. With the intake at least I got it.

hey charlie....srry im working on the pics now..im trying to figure out how to post them on this site bare with me i didnt forget srry for the delay

hey charlie....srry im working on the pics now..im trying to figure out how to post them on this site bare with me i didnt forget sorry for the delay

Click on "post reply" and wait until the page fully loads. Then page down. You'll see "manage attachments". Click on it and you'll be able to load from puter or URL.