Mysterious smoke at startup

timothydog

Need some opinions here.

My car has had a taste for oil since the day I bought it.

Here's what's going on now.
If I drive the car around for 10-20 minutes (moderate driving) then park it for a short period and start it back up I get a healthy cloud of white smoke that pours out of the tail pipes at idle. Then if I drive it around for a short while the smoke will disappear. (Pretty sure it's oil)

I used to think that it was my PCV valve that was sucking oil (which it was) but I have disconnected it temporarily and cleaned the throttle body until my check valves gets here. So I don't think that is the answer now because it has been clean for a couple days.

Also, the inlet section of the turbo is still bone dry so I know my seals are still good. They should be. The turbo only has about 500 miles on it. And the intercooler is clean.

So does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?
Why does it only smoke at startup?

Thanks
Tim

smoking

So are you saying that it stop smoking when you plugged up the PCV valve. Or is it still doing the same thing. I think you answer one of my prior posts regarding this issue. I am also going to try plugging it up since I have both breathers. I'm just waiting for my new turbo. I know it does suck up oil through that line. I tried the check valve but it didn't help much.:mad:

Mine does the same thing, too. I think my problem may be the valve stem seals. I haven't tried the PCV valve yet.

I was getting smoke from the exhaust side of the turbo.
No oil in IC and no oil in DP (would burn off). The exhaust wheel was oily though. The car would not smoke until in warmed up.
Valve steam leaks will blow smoke on start-up like T-dog's example or at least that's the way my 4.3 chevy does. It has done it for years but I never had it fixed. 229,000 on the clock and the engine has not been into and it will only use a 1/2 quart in 3,000 miles.

Well, I just changed my valve springs a couple weeks ago.
And I did replace my valve seals too. But I'm beginning to think that one didn't go down all the way or something. They all felt pretty solid after I pushed them on though.

like ESl said i would check the exhaust side of the turbo for oil contamination. mine would not smoke until it warmed up. found lots of oil in the elbow and downpipe, cat was plugged too. bolted on a new turbo , problem solved

Well ive always heard that white smoke is Head Gasket...Just my .02 im not sure if thats right but...thats what ive heard...
Sleeper87

I'll check my exhaust side on the turbo. I hope to God there is no oil there. My rebuilt stock turbo from PTE has about 500 miles on it and is only a couple months old.

As far as a blown head gasket, I guess that is possible. Although I'm not smelling any antifreeze in the exhaust. I think it smells like burnt oil. What else do I look for with a blown head gasket?

Take it from me.........it's from your turbo. Don't worry about it until you smoke all the time.:D

White and blue in the smoke are really hard to distinguish- if the smoke lingers and/or smells like oil... it's oil. If it evaporates and/or tingles your nose, then it's water. Water = bad news. check under your oil fill cap, is there any greyish sluge?= bad gasket or cracked head usually. Are there bubbles in the coolant or is it foamy?
check your plugs, is one oily? about half of new valve seals will fail if not lubed when installed...did you?

how many miles? your oil rings might be bad that could cause this problem.

I really hope it's not your turbo, but very possible.

good luck man, hope I helped- keep us posted

Vic