My wife thinks I'm nuts

RICER X

o_O Ok I spent the whole day under my car with the rotors , hubs and all ripped off of my car. I was armed with little wire brushes, toothbrushes, grease cutters and simple green. I just cut thru 25 years of a lot of fun and abuse. Now I want it to last another 25 years. I have a quart of chassis saver, 2 quarts of por-15, 4 spray cans of Eastwood rust encapsulator. And 2 cans of Eastwood's rust encapsulator undercoating. I'm looking for some past experience in restoration while my ride drys off.

I wouldn't put undercoating on anything but the floorpans. I would Rustoleum the steel and cast parts. It's just cleaner in the end and won't get on your clothes like undercoating will.

Man. I just made a frame for one of those old recalled toyota trucks last winter and its already started rusting. I think it will hold a while though check out how thick I made the frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 271
Oh and I'm rebuilding an old 70 C/10 and the only screwed up spots were where the undercoating held water.

image.jpg Come on guys, this car is in West Virginia now. I need to seal it up. The crap they use on the roads in the winter seems to hang out all year long. It eats cars even in the summer.

Im in Md. We have the same pickle juice on our roads too stuff eats em up bad here. She leaks oil.. I let her.. coats underside. As odd as it sounds.. I keep the under car latherd in oil. Cant say I have oxidation issues. Wish I had money to buy fancy rust proofing stuff. Call me cheap. Rather get go fast parts(y)

He
Im in Md. We have the same pickle juice on our roads too stuff eats em up bad here. She leaks oil.. I let her.. coats underside. As odd as it sounds.. I keep the under car latherd in oil. Cant say I have oxidation issues. Wish I had money to buy fancy rust proofing stuff. Call me cheap. Rather get go fast parts(y)
I'm not going to say anything bad about the oil coating. I will bet there is not one car out there that has had a rust issue where the motor or tranny has leaked. The guy who showed me how to work on cars would take the oil from his oil changes and put it in a garden sprayer and coat his entire undercarriage with it. He never had rust. As far as the go-fast parts, I'm still learning, and also I'm finding a lot of goodies under the hood that I didn't know were there. So one thing at a time, this started out as checking the brake pads.

Don't drive it in the winter. Simple as that. These are too nice a car to ruin with salt.....I use an older Jeep for winter time driving....mud, salt, snow, rain, etc. Save yourself a lot of trouble and put it up for the winter. Then when spring comes, you'll be set for a nice summer drive in it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Its never seen snow. It stays in the garage for the winter. I haven't even had it on the road yet this year. I'm just wanting to seal it up. I guess I'm just going to por-15 it tonight. You can't tell me there is no residual product left on our roads in the spring. The cinders are still there so there's still got to be salt and whatever other caustic additives they use.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TYVEK-No-Elastic-Disposable-Coverall-XL-14123/203347781

I'm not a fan of por-15 after the last time I used it. It seemed to flake off easier than I thought. Perhaps my prep wasn't as good, but when you're doing that much under a car that used to have undercoating everywhere sometimes you miss a spot that had residue. Plus the por-15 black comes out way to shiny IMO.

I'm a favor of this:

Coat your bare metal/slightly rusty parts in "Ospho"
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...d=product_ad&gclid=CM3o_YDFg74CFeRlOgodhAoAng

Hit it with primer. I like Eastwood's primer...

Then Eastwood's Chassis Black. That way future blemishes can just be spray bombed to match.

I hate undercoating, it has its place but maybe I'm old school and think it shouldn't be used on collector/enthusiast type cars...on a daily driver truck, SUV, minivan- yes. I'm also a big believer in blasting for rust removal paint prep, ya crap gets everywhere but it is the best and needed material clean up can be minimized , (cover things do it outside etc) imo.

Same here, always kept in garage, not heated, but still developed some light surface rust.
I used to live in Long Island New York, and occasionally I get caught in the rain driving back home. Once in the garage I wipe it down for the next driving day, but that was about 12 years ago.
At first I used the spray Rust Converter from Eastwood http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html
Then I switched for cheaper cost Walmart has this type called Rust Remover which Converts Rust To A Black Paintable Finish, works great.

Last edited:

That's my way of keeping rust at bay. Eight years and 70k miles now and all good still.

Its never seen snow. It stays in the garage for the winter. I haven't even had it on the road yet this year. I'm just wanting to seal it up. I guess I'm just going to por-15 it tonight. You can't tell me there is no residual product left on our roads in the spring. The cinders are still there so there's still got to be salt and whatever other caustic additives they use.

If it doesn't come off the road with a good rain, it'll never make it to your car on a nice day. I drive my car on any dry road day in the winter, it gets salt dust all over. As long as it's well oiled or coated another way, it won't rust. Salt and even the pickle juice still need moisture and prolonged contact to start rusting. I don't wash my car much but when I do, I'm damn sure it's dry in all areas before I put it back in the garage. I def don't wash the salt dust off until Spring when I know I can get it in the sun to dry the parts I can't reach with a towel.

I strongly believe a lot of garage queens rust out from being washed and put away with water still in the body and other hard to reach areas. Better off just dusting it and spray shining it and saving the water for when it's really dirty and can be heat dried properly.

I'm lucky, my wife likes the GN more than me. She gets ticked off when it doesn't go fast enough or breaks down at the track. If there is such a thing, I think she gets Racetrack withdrawal. She's the one that's nuts. I shoulda known that (let me get my calculator), 40 years ago.

I'm lucky, my wife likes the GN more than me. She gets ticked off when it doesn't go fast enough or breaks down at the track. If there is such a thing, I think she gets Racetrack withdrawal. She's the one that's nuts. I shoulda known that (let me get my calculator), 40 years ago.

Hey Gary great post, in a way you are lucky. My wife doesn't give a rats ass about TR's

Hey Gary great post, in a way you are lucky. My wife doesn't give a rats ass about TR's
But go fast parts are expensive, I'd much rather buy her a diamond or two or three!!! Get your wife up to PA and we'll convert her.