My TPS is setting a code 42....

The Darkside

Heavy Metal Thunder
It's happened a few times now within the last week or so...When I start the car the engine light comes on & I get a code 42...Car runs rough. The first time it happened I was did a visual inspection under the hood looking for issues & noticed that the tps sensor wasnt plugged in all the way... I pushed it in securely & when I restarted the car the engine light was off, no codes & was idling great again... Car seems to drive fine, but then again haven't tested it at wot ...
Problem has reappeared a couple of times since even though the tps still seemed to be connected securely. I've been able to fix the problem by unplugging the tps & plugging it back in.
Anyways, is my tps failing, could be just the connector or something else?

The Darkside

I had same problem, only instead of 42, i get 22, which is tps low, i would go under my hood and just lightly press on the metal lever on the tps and it would go away. But would always promise to return... Anyways, long story short, i bought a new one and problem never came back... My guess is YES your tps is bad.. And is always recomended to change it every 75,000 miles or so

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hmmmm.....Somethings strange then, cause like I said its thrown the code three times & each time its gone away away by simply unplugging the tps & plugging it back in.... I'll double check things & report back...

you could jump up and down on one foot and it wont change the fact that 42 is ignition module EST related :)

Found the problem!!! As I was jumping up & down on 1 foot wondering if I could change the fact my code 42 was something other than the ignition module...lol, I noticed that the gray wire from my Translator plus that is supposed to be wired together with a white wire coming out of the ignition module was very loosely connected & basically came apart the minute I touched it... So, before I reconnected them I started the car & sure enough code 42 popped up almost instantly on the scanmaster. I rewired the two wires & the car feels great again!!! Thanks pacecarta for your help.... :)

The Darkside

you have a turbotweak that can control timing , why are you still using the translator plus timing control

I don't use the trans plus to adjust timing & have been just going with the timing Eric puts in his alky chip... Any suggestions/help on on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks again

the suggestion is to disconnect or don't connect the trans+ timing leads to the EST wire at the ignition module when you have a chip capable of controlling the timing

if it is connected remove it and reconnect the white EST wires at the igniton module connector , and i dont mean just twist them back and wrap tape on them , its exposed to the elements