My theory why stock MAFs fail. (Long)

Kapton is the main laminate material for strain gauges. The main benefit of Kapton is that is doesnt cold flow...basically tweak and distort for a long time. Strain gauges are used in higher end mass flow meters. Its called a strain gauge transducer.
heres a patent abstract for the strain gauge MAF:

Mass flow meter - Patent 4381680
They're basically called vortex mass flowmeters. 2 vortices are created and the strain gauge is used to measure the oscillation of the gauge as it gets pulled and pushed at a given oscillation by the vortex. But I looked deeper into this, and you're right about our MAF's using a heating film. Its weird because Kapton is a terrible heat conductor. We've used strain gauge based air flow systems in the past. We designed and built all the testing equipment for the seat heating/cooling systems which showed up on cars in the late 90's. Given the striking visual similarity, I thought for sure that was a strain gauge in our MAFs.:redface:

My MAF died a week ago. I was talking to a buick mechanic at a dealership. He has worked there 23 years and is the original owner of an 87 GN. I don't think he has changed a thing on his car- not even the fuel pump or hotwire. He thinks all of these aftermarket parts are just a way to make money for the manufacturers of them. Anyway, the one part that he says goes bad and is problematic is the MAF. He is in favor of changing it to the translator/LT-1. I thought that was kind of interesting.

My MAF died a week ago. I was talking to a buick mechanic at a dealership. He has worked there 23 years and is the original owner of an 87 GN. I don't think he has changed a thing on his car- not even the fuel pump or hotwire. He thinks all of these aftermarket parts are just a way to make money for the manufacturers of them. Anyway, the one part that he says goes bad and is problematic is the MAF. He is in favor of changing it to the translator/LT-1. I thought that was kind of interesting.
That tech sounds like he's stuck in the dinosaur age. Tell him to line up next to one of the guys cars on this board to see what all those aftermarket parts really do. What was his explanation of failure associated to the stock MAFS? No doubt the later style MAFS with translators are the way to go if you are retaining the MAFS.

He just said they weren't reliable. They just tended to fail a lot. He said they used to have a gizmo to test the MAF- but it was only good as a door stop!

:confused:
Reading this thread causes me to have many questions

I'll start off stating: My maf failed shortly after installation of the stainless hard pipe, replacing the flex pipe. I now use the translator & a 3" maf.

My main question: Reducing incorrect airflow readings ( when letting up on the throttle ) may be possible by relocating the maf on the throttle body??

I believe relocation on the throttle body would actually increase airflow capability. I believe pushing air would more efficient than pulling air.

John, GNVenom, can you enlighten me?

TIA