My son off to college

faster

Kinda weird, tears in my eyes, I feel like my son's first day of kindergarten except he is 18, 6'6" and leaving for college. I'm proud he got a baseball scholarship but really sad as I will truly miss him. I get five more weeks and then he's gone. Where did 18 years go? Seems like just a few months ago he was 6 beginning tee-ball, I was teaching him baseball and beginning my little league/travel baseball coaching career that spanned 12 years. Now it's over. College scouts sent recruiters and the best deal from the most sincere coaches came from a small private college in St Louis (Clayton) 900 miles away. Now pro scouts have begun talking to him. Seems like yesterday we went fishing for the first time.

Dad's spend a lot of time with your kids, I did but it still doesn't seem like anything. I knew this day would come but it doesn't make it any easier.

How does the federal government get away with the insane interest rates they want for their student loans. Sallie Mae wanted an initial rate of 8.5% variable up to 25% for 144 months with a maximum payment of $584.00/month for the small balance not covered by the scholarship and I have a credit rating of 818. Are they nuts? Chase gave me a fixed rate of 3.27% with a payment of $37.00/month. Unfortunately people with poor credit are forced to use Sallie Mae then they are in real financial misery.

Anyway, happy and proud for him. sad for me. My daughter is 16, a junior, two more years and I have to do this all again, aaarrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly, been a member of this forum for many. many years and have met some great people. I may need to call on members in St Louis for help in steering my son to a good mechanic if his car (Low mileage black 97 Cobra garage queen we bought for $6K, yea I know) has issues.

You guys may remember how I posted he was run over October 15, 2010, unconscious in ICU going through the first of four surgeries. The docs said he probably would never pitch again and he proved them wrong. Great rehab and therapists from the University of Florida plus four pro pitchers who made it their business to get involved with his life, work with and encourage him. Now he's got a scholarship to pitch in college and pro scouts looking.

Thank you all and thank you Jesus.

Mikey

I feel your pain, although my youngest is 24, and has been out of college for a couple years now. I still remember "move-in day".

My daughter is going to be a senior in high school next year, so I'm bracing for that...

Hang in there, you will get thru it. It sounds like he's got a great start.

Bob

Congrats and good luck to both of you!

To help with the loans, see what scholarship programs the school / alumni offer. It's amazing how many different programs are available and how many of them are easy to get. Can't hurt to look, and it beats graduating in ridiculous debt (been there, still doing that).

Congrats on raising a young man. You sound like a pretty good father. I'm getting close myself. My older son starts high school next month and my little is not far behind. The interest thing is another topic that should probably be started in the political section, haha. I can see that one getting out of hand quick..

Again congrats!

Congrats and good luck to both of you!

To help with the loans, see what scholarship programs the school / alumni offer. It's amazing how many different programs are available and how many of them are easy to get. Can't hurt to look, and it beats graduating in ridiculous debt (been there, still doing that).
The school is giving him a 80% scholarship/alumni grant, guaranteed for four years provided he maintains a 3.0 average. So we're good there, my bank Chase gave us a 3.6% deffer-ed loan for the balance.

Congrats on raising a young man. You sound like a pretty good father. I'm getting close myself. My older son starts high school next month and my little is not far behind. The interest thing is another topic that should probably be started in the political section, haha. I can see that one getting out of hand quick..

Again congrats!

He's a good kid and never any trouble with pro scouts now approaching him for his pitching talent. In four outings of travel ball this summer he's only given up three hits and one earned run. He's an athlete and at 6'6" taking him out in public is like dragging a magnet through a box of nails with all the girls throwing phone numbers at him jeeeeeez. I got him a summer job at University of Florida in my division and his supervisor says the girls talk to him all the time and overheard two girls call him "cutie pie" in an elevator they were all on so that became his nickname. LOL

Mikey