My seat belts won't catch

Billdogg

PSI FED 6
Anybody ever have this problem? My front seat belts won't catch when pulled fast. I'm glad I didn't find this out the hard way, but I have no idea how to correct this. Is there an adjustment, or am I going to have to replace them?

I'm pretty sure they are inertia real and only latch when the car stops fast. Belt speed doesn't play into it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but on my truck and other cars, they will catch when you pull on them fast. Anybody want to yank on their's at home and see what happens?

Hi,
They should catch if you pull them fast, but the whole mechanism relies on a mass reaction weight setup. I can imagine things might not be working as smoothly as they used to, know what I mean?

I ditched the craptastic factory seat belts and bolted in a harness bar, reinforced the rear bottom interior sheetmetal where it bolted down. If you look at the factory box its just some thin metal and one tiny round nut welded on the backside and a tab holding the tenionser to the car:eek: It didn't inspire confidence, so I did what us Corvette guys do, reinforced then bolted in a harness bar and ran brand new 5 pt sfi belts...

try pulling on it while braking. there is a counter weight that rocks forward when braking hard, it catches a gear causing the seat belt to lock. unless these cars have a different mechanism i dont know about.
it should catch when braking decently hard if its not messed up though.

Can somebody do me a huge favor? Could somebody pull on their belt while the car is stopped, and see if it catches? Then I'll know if it's supposed to be that way, or mine are broke. I live in Illinois, so my car is in storage right now, and can't be driven to check if it's an inertia type belt.