My Regal 8.8 swap is complete

Yea I got a little lazy and didnt post all the info over here. The swap works pretty well but I wouldnt reccomend the trz swap to anyone since the antisquat geommetry is actually negative causing odd and unpredictable handling. I contacted them about the issue and they werent real helpful. I figured for the amount of money I spent on their kit it would have worked not been a complete waste. I had been working with Kevin Salby at www.baselinesuspensions.com and he developed a kit for the 8.8 to work in the g body as well as the 12 bolt and an adjustable upper link setup for those with a stock 8.5 rear end. If you are interested in any of these swaps you should check out his page. I'll be ordering the upper kit within the next month or so hopefully and I'll post some pics/results when its in.

8.8 vs 8.5 vs 12 bolt chevy

Ok... We have been building the custom G-body rears from 73-77 and ford LTD and 12 bolt chevelle rears for years.

The 12 bolt is strong because of the 12 BOLTS THAT HOLD THE RING GEAR STABLE ON THE CARRIER... then the pinion shaft size, 30 spline axle shafts finally the housing has a lot of support ribs that are part of the casting to keep it from stretching and over heating.

The Ford 8.8 was basically a copy of the 12 bolt chevy and the 8.5 corp rear.

The 8.8 has a big ring gear BUT it is not supported well from the carrier as it hangs off the carrier flange area by about 1" at least with no other support then the gear it self. The rear is also a 10 bolt ring gear JUST LIKE the FORD 9"
The cast housing is thinner and lighter then comparable 8.5 or 12 bolt chevy rears. It also does not have the cast support ribs giving the support that the 8.5 or the 12 bolt chevy have.

Bearing caps are wider but a bit thinner cast over the top of the carrier bearing then the 8.5 and 12 bolt rears. Cap bolts are the same size but the 8.8 ford uses a 3/4" headed bolt hex socket instead of the 5/8" socket head GM uses.
Axles- Ford cars all used the 28 spline axle shafts, Yes cobra had 31 spline BUT it was independent rear suspension so it is a moot point. IT is how ever very easy to swap in 31 spline posi and aftermarket axles to strengthen that up.
Posi units - FORD fails in this department for sure. Their clutches units need help. They go through clutch super fast so if you got one expect that to go fast. Steel clutches in the GM unit are FAR superior. Ford uses a Composite material GLUED to every other plate/ disc in the pack...Kind of like brake pad lining. It is ok for the street but if your really going to get on it at the track etc. UPGRADE this area.

So again over all what is stronger? I think for what we are all using them for... any one is of these diffs is an excellent up grade for a 7.5 10 bolt rear. I would pay more attention to the person assembling the parts...That is how your going to get your strength.

Good luck on the rear diff stuff. :)

Attachments

• rearends for customers 020.jpg
    rearends for customers 020.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,102
  • rolo rear 001.jpg
    rolo rear 001.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,607
  • Len 10 bolt 8.5 rear 005.jpg
    Len 10 bolt 8.5 rear 005.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 4,458
The reason for the 8.8 is b/c it is plentiful unlike the other options you mentioned... Whats the view like from your soap box btw?

Definetely over the 12 bolt chevy...But there are a ton of 8.5 rears out there.

I think because everyone uses 9" in alot of race application The FORD is the sale and the 8.8 being BIGGER IS ALWAY better is the reason.

Well if 8.5 is good 8.8 has GOT to be better deal.

Unfortunely I am in the business of selling rears and I will build what you want... I will have my opinion and let you know as many details as i can give about each to build and you will make the final decision.

I have made plenty of these 8.8 S-10 versions which have run 9.90 easy 31 spline moser axles...But a race s-10 is 2900 pound add anothe 600 pounds and I am sure the stress goes up. :)

Good discussion. Jim

rears

Again...I have to stress...The actual build is what will be best money spent. Find someone that can put the rear together correct and you should be good with any of those chioces That includes 9" and dana 60 and 8 3/4 mopar.

They all will handle power built correctly.

J D Race.com
Jim Mitschke

"topher455", according to you, would there be an advantage for me in switching from a 8.5" GN rear axle to a Ford 8.8" like yours?...or is the main reason why you did this was that a real GN axle wasn't available or too expensive?
I don't know if someone makes "good" aftermarket axles and spools for that rear end?.. 'cause I'm currently running mid 10's and will be in the 9's next year...(I already have some Moser spool & axles in my 8.5" right now...)
Also, would it withstand the use of a trans-brake?
I saw that some companies like Moser, Mark Williams, Strange, Currie, etc...sell some Ford 9" rear axles already custom-made to fit our GN's, right down to the axles having the correct 4.75" bolt pattern, but don't know if they could the same kind of "package" using a 8.8"s though...:confused:

Thanks,

Claude. :smile:

The main advantage is the price and availability of the 8.8. However you need new control arms, etc to make it work in a G-body. I'm not sure the anti-squat issue has been fully resolved.

If you have a 8.5, use it. Unless you have 9 second car, then step up to Ford 9 inch.

Price is the biggest diffeence. 1000 for a used 8.5 , 250.00 for a 8.8.

Both spit the teeth out of the ring gear at a certain HP level. The 8.5 needs much maintenance in the 7.90 range. But the 8.8 has been in the 6.90 range with the same maintenance.