My new wheels and a bigger front sway bar

b4black

My new wheels and a BFB

I updated my '83 TR page. Click the link in my signature. There's a before and after picture with the new wheels. What a difference. :)

Hopefully a new 36mm sway bar (Big F'n Bar) will going on tonight. It's from a 88ish F-body. It's hollow and weighs 11 lbs. The biggest G-body bar was 31mm (1.25") and weighs 20 lbs.

My '83 TR has a 27mm stock bar. It seems the earlier cars had smaller bars than the later. The rear was 19mm, but 22mm was the biggest factory bar (and is what I have now). A great update for all earlier cars, especially NA cars with 25mm up front and no rear bar.

BTW, the 36mm cost $13 at the u-pick it yard. :)

The Ralleye's look really good Rich! :D
You wasn't kiddin', what a difference!
BIG improvement over the spoked covers & whitewalls.

& we all know how much faster those Ralleye wheels make a car;)

you know b4black i never clicked on the link in your sig before.my 84 is an exact mirror image of your car,color and all.for the longest time i did'nt know what color my car was because you don't see too many regals that color.but after asking a few people that paint cars they told me it was taupe.what a funky name huh.

Thanks Turbo-Rich. They came out better than I hoped for. I have a whopping $50 in the rims.

Taupe? I'll try to remember that. My color scale limited to the rainbow and a few other basics. My wife says violet, lavender, burgandy, maroon, etc. I just say purple. :) (Or basic brown in this case.)

I put the BFB on last night. The urethane end links cost more than the bar ($15 from Pep Boys). All I can say is WOW! The difference is unbelievable. Reminds me of my Grand Prix 2+2, which has a great handling car.

I remeasured my old bar. It is 1" (25mm). I have no idea why Buick used such a small bar on a sport model. Both my '82 TR's have the same dinky bar. All three are supposed to have the Gran Touring (F41) suspension. If you don't have at least a 1 1/4" (31mm) bar, get one!

Originally posted by b4black
. If you don't have at least a 1 1/4" (31mm) bar, get one!

It's on "The List" for Tonyas '83. With the front lowered like it is the tires sometimes rub from body roll when you turn kinda hard or fast. I was thinking about just adding the urethane end links for now but if I can find a deal like you did on the bar that'd be great:) Aftermarket ones are like friggin' $150.
I've heard about the hollow bars being lighter & tougher than the ones we have but I thought it would take some modification to adapt it over from the F-body. Did yours go on w/out any troubles?
I'm guessing that I should be looking for mid to late 80's GTA's or IROC's for the bigger bar? Those are pretty scarce in the j/y around here but there are PLENTY of firebirds/cameros.
Maybe I'll have to get dirty & do some snooping around.

The f-body bar fits. It is not exact, so you need to be careful and get it centered just right. I found mine in a base looking Camaro. I saw an IROC, and it had a soild, smaller bar. The hollow bar has different looking ends. They sound different when you tap them too.

The hollow bar is called a 36mm and the biggest g-body bar is a 31mm. The actual difference is not 5mm. It's more like 2-3mm. I'm not sure if the difference between the 31 solid and 36 hollow is very significant. 31mm G-body are much easier to find, many base cars have them. I already have an extra 31mm, and I will use it on my '82 GN.

Polyurethane end links were used at the factory on some cars. My '83 already had them. They were just worn out.

I've always been cheap. :) I have also always prefered to use factory parts over aftermarket. I personally think the Buick Ralleyes look better than most aftermarket wheels, and they look "correct". And they are cheap.

I'm thinking about changing wheels each year to keep the car "fresh" looking. Maybe next summer, I'll put these on the '82 GN and go with something else. (Cheap of course) I like the Buick "Turbine" and "Polycast" rims. And there were some 15x7 Aluminum wheels used on Big Buick cars that look great also.

I like the Buick "Turbine" and "Polycast" rims.

Yeah, the "Turbine" rims do look pretty cool:cool:
I saw a Regal once that was lowered good all the way around & had those rims on it with the insets painted the same color as the car (Turquose-ish?). It looked SWEET:D

Polyurethane end links were used at the factory on some cars. My '83 already had them. They were just worn out.

*Yep, both our cars' are pretty worn & prob. never been changed *

I've always been cheap. :) I have also always prefered to use factory parts over aftermarket.

:D That the best way to be! :D