My Malibu and this odd, black car...

DeltaT

The time: 1996, about midnight, Saturday night...
The place: Santa Clara, CA... Great America Pkwy. near 237, before they added the Palm exit/entrances.

My Car: My sleeper, the 81 Malibu 4DR Sedan. At that time I had just put the 375HP Sallee-Chevrolet ZZ3 in the car, with a QuadraJet and 1 5/8" shorty headers into a custom Y-pipe with one 3" cat. Boxed in LCAs, Bilsteins, 3.73 posi 12-bolt)

The Black Car: I knew it was a Buick Turbo because he had the badges on... but I didn't know what a turbo was, not really... and not what it could do. I also didn't realize (this was early in my street racing experience) the signifigance of the Hoosier no-tread (slicks) tire on the back. He was a local guy from where the scene around here was Fri/Sat nights at Weinerschnitzel on El Camino.

About 6 cars went down to GA Pkwyand pulled off onto the side of Old Mt. View-Alviso Rd. My car was running pretty good, though with a lot of 1st/2nd tire spin on the Goodyear Gatorback 245/50/16s. I had never timed it, but had beaten a bunch of IROCs, 'muscle cars' and 5.0's with the sleeper.

I think his name was Mike. We talked and I said I wanted to race. I like racing in the 1st 20 minutes after getting someplace, cause the cops usually show up within an hour. We drove and made a U-turn at the crossover road near 237, did a little burnout
and staged, with some kid on the center divider. They had another guy up at the lights watching for traffic from down there. he gives some signal with a flashlight and the kid raises his arms slowly... I hear this God-awful whistling sound, this all-black car is rising on its suspension next to me like no car I had ever raced...
and I get a good launch (for me and the Gatorbacks) but this guy is like 40 feet in front of me already... after that I held steady at about 2 solid car lengths behind... I had never, ever seen a launch like that in person. Turns out he had a TH400 w/transbrake, and all sorts of HKS electronics.

I had nightmares about whistling bats racing past my head for like a month...

Taught me a few lessons, though:

- Never race a car on slicks when you are on street tires. A quarter mile isn't very long if you're spinning and he's moving.
- Turbos can mean trouble, especially CIA-Black Buick Coupes...
- Laptops on the front seat do not mean that it's some kind of nerdy car...
- G-Bodies can be made to handle well and be quick as hell...
- I am due for a big fall everytime I think I'm really getting quick...
cuz there's always quicker cars around.

Excellent site and stories.

Jim

87natl,

The same 81 Malibu 4DR Sleeper, with a whole new drivetrain. I built a blown, intercooled 383 - that and the G-Body thing got me interested in this site, plus the cool stories, tech stuff and classifieds. It is only 2-3 weeks away from being driveable again...

All the suspension, tranny and brake stuff here would work on the Buick GN and TR chassis.

Check it out - I will also post updated pix tomorrow:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Regards,

Jim

Wow. You are certainly laying the money into that engine. I hate to even guess what you've got in the setup.

You need to bring the body up to snuff. Or are you trying to go super sleeper with the gray prime? Rustangs beware, here come the Mallibu!

Regardless, congrats. It's a labor of love, and from the looks of things you'll be giving birth soon, LOL!

Thanks! Check it out - I just updated some pix on the site.

The body is straight but the primer right now is blotchy - it needs to be renewed. At some point I will paint it a similar low-key gray.

Jim

Its not just the black buicks you have to watch out for, I have a gray one with no emblems:D

Originally posted by Wicked
Its not just the black buicks you have to watch out for, I have a gray one with no emblems:D

Oh please tell me you didn't do the ricer de-badging thing. Please no no no no..... :(

The previous owner repainted the car what was left of the emblems were in the trunk. The turbo t are on the fenders the rest are beyond repair. I didn't know it was ricey to take emblems
off for stealth. Putting Type R emblems on a base civic is rice.

Sory pal, that's just the "IN" thing to do here in No. VA for the ricer crowd. They like tp pull all the badges and put ground effect on their cars so you can't tell what it was. I guess they're ashamed to admit the truth? ;)

pulling the badgers off isnt necessarily a ricer thing. all of the ricers around here put MORE badges on their cars. i wont be putting the badges back on my car after i repaint it. it makes it look so much cleaner in my opinion.

-jeff

It's the same out here - more badges = more rice. They have badges for things they don't even have on the cars... along with wingz, flarez and holez that don't go anywhere...

And bannerz like:

aSiaN InZanE KLoWn PoSse

And they wonder why some people don't take them seriously.

Jim

Sounds like you guys are talking about stickers, and I'm talking about badges. THey've got all of the Geddy, HKS, etc. stickers on their cars here. Just no badges from the auto manufacturer.

they do the stickers here, but they also like to add badges. like type S or R or Z or whatever. as far as i am concerned they had might as well just put a badge on it that says "gay".

and hot rodders have been debadging their cas for years.

-jeff

Like this:

Type
" "GAY

:eek:

Jim

If everyone that needed a badge like that bought one from me for $1, I'd be rich...

I've chosen 'lighthearted', 'artistic' and 'boost oriented', fart cans optional...

Hmmm...

Jim

Hey Delta T

Awesome car man, even though its not a Buick GN or T TYPE its still very cool. I love seeing sleeper cars and yours is probably the best example of a sleeper. About the badges, leave them off and leave the car primer to. You can nickname that bad boy "The Grey Ghost" like Boss Hogg's Malibu on the Dukes of Hazzard. Anyway, keep up the good work

JON

That car is sweeeeet! Nice work!

I'd lose the big rims, kinda hints that somethings up. 15's with hub caps------Oh yeah

And a flat hood.

Bet its a money maker!

turbosam6,

Thanks.

I agree about the rims - once I had them on there it looked pretty ominous - maybe if the rims were lighter in color, it might look less 'dark'? Unfortunately, the 13" Wilwoods in the front force me to use a 17. I'll probably get a 45-series front tire next time instead of this 245/40/17 - it's 1" taller overall and reduces the rake and visual difference between the ends of the car.

I can fit a 15" rear wheel, though. I'll probably get a set of 15X10 Rally Wheels and have them Alodined to match, then put BFG 275/50/15 Drag Radials on, for saturday nights only...

Next few days will be fitting the front end, mounting the intercooler, modifying the radiator support for clearance and plumbing. Then I have to decide what size and shape oil and tranny coolers to use, ducting to the intercooler, and the whole bypass valve thing.

Then it's time to fire this thing up - it hasn't been driven since 98.

More pix to come.

Jim