My GN vs my buddies LT1 camaro

Beecha91

So in the spring when the track opens, I am running my buddies LT1 Camaro. He had just gotten heads and cam on the car last year, and is saving for a rearend as we speak. Im sure he'll come out on a slick when he has the rear done. He has a built auto trans with a trans brake, and all the bolt ons (exhaust, etc). Im wondering what he'll run, cuz I have no idea how well you can make a LT1 run. I know ls1s run really well with mods. My Gn has a PT54, full exhaust, 55lb injectors, necked stock intercooler, short ram intake, pts 9x11 3300 stall, rebuilt trans with shift kit and trans cooler. The car is on light weight skinnies and fattie rear with bfg drag radials 275 60 15. I have ported heads and intake sitting in my closet im gonna throw on before spring, and I really need a better intercooler. I will be on race gas and a race chip, how do you think the race will go. I know theres bunch of what if's but im just trying to feel it out. I was hoping my I could take him with my wrx with the new turbo on there, cuz I will be at 12.0s with it. Well let me know what you guys think!! Thanx

Don

yeah thers are a lot of variables , lt1s can be made to run very well, especially with aftermarket heads and a good cam might be able to get him in the wrx it would probably be very close

I would definately run some slicks or ET Streets so you could leave with high boost!

I think leaving with boost will be your biggest advantage.

Do you think I'll be fine with necked stock intercooler, or should I really get a bigger and better intercooler before spring??

Don

Originally posted by Beecha91
Do you think I'll be fine with necked stock intercooler, or should I really get a bigger and better intercooler before spring??

Don

Sure could not hurt to step up to a better intercooler. I went to a PTE stock location. a definate improvement over a big neck stock piece. I would think about throwing a cam in your car too as long as you are going to pull the heads.

Depending on the heads and cam, I would say you'll beat him handily with the ported heads and assuming you are tuned. The LT4 heads and cam swap are the popular LT1 mod and those were mid 13 second in an F-Body.

If all he has done is put the LT4 conversion on the car, you would not even need the heads, intercooler, etc. Try to learn more about what he has done and then snoop around some F-body or LT1 boards and see what the story is.

Then take him to the track and show him what a GN can do.:cool:

I believe he has AFR heads. Cuz I remember talking about wanting to use AFRs in my old stang and him saying he wants AFRS to. Not sure on the cam either, I'll have dig out what I can. I was searching tho on the lt1 boards that with heads and cam and a built auto trans are running mid to high 11s. I was surprised hehe but then I would see the same set up running mid to low 12s so who knows! hehe

Don-

i think it will be up to how hard you leave. if you can put some space in between you at the begining it will make up for him pulling you on the top end. go to www.ls1tech.com they have all kinds of lt1 stuff. good luck and tell us the results when it happens

I think you will beat him, but it won't be easy if his car is setup right and he actually has AFR heads. I have seen them flow over 300 cfm and on an LT1 with a good cam, he is going to be trapping in the mid/high 1-teens. His car could make 380-400 rwhp because of the auto. That would be an easy mid 11s if not low 11s.

The potential of either car and the skills of the driver are 2 different things. It may come down to good driving. Keep us posted.

I'm not an authority on the LT1 but I know that with full bolt-ons a stock-engined LS1 fbody can run 11's. Heads and cam can take them into the 10's. The LT1 is slower than the LS1 stock for stock but once the major modifications start who knows?

I'd say it depends on his Cam, his stall, and his tires.

I've seen a bunch of nice LT1 cars here in florida with good heads and a slightly mild cam in the mid 11's with the right tires on them.

LS1 on the other hand, anything with over 570 of lift and they can be in the 10's. I was trying to buy a 98 Hardtop SS M6 with 608/614 of lift. Car put down 430rwhp untuned with ported stage 2 heads. So it just depends. That could of been in the 10's easy.

Good luck.

Originally posted by lieu910
Depending on the heads and cam, I would say you'll beat him handily with the ported heads and assuming you are tuned. The LT4 heads and cam swap are the popular LT1 mod and those were mid 13 second in an F-Body.

If all he has done is put the LT4 conversion on the car, you would not even need the heads, intercooler, etc. Try to learn more about what he has done and then snoop around some F-body or LT1 boards and see what the story is.

Then take him to the track and show him what a GN can do.:cool:

When I had just bolt-ons (stock heads/stock cam/stock motor) i ran 13.3 @ 106mph on street tires and an M6. I then put in an off the shelf medium size cam (230/236 .544/.556 114lsa) and ported stock heads and made:

368rwhp/336rwtq with a mailorder tune. With this tune i ran a 12.5@114mph w/2.07 60' riding the clutch out of the hole at idle. I was on the stock rear and had dr's. The dr's were only there to prevent me from spinning once i got rolling. later on down the road I leaned out the A/F and made 383rwhp/353rwtq and picked up 30wrtq+ from 2400-3000rpm. I could have trapped 116-117mph all day on ported stock heads, but never made it back to the track. I am currently building a Single T76 383 LT1.

I'd say it defintely depends on the cam (people run 11's all the time on stock ported LT1 castings - it just depends on who ported the heads). Also, the stall and tire will make a huge difference. If he is set up right, he can run the baby LT4 hotcam into the high 11's.