My GN stopped running

PEACHS

Hello Members,
My GN was idling in the drive way and just stopped running. I checked the following by replacing these parts with known working ones from my other TR. The ECM, Coilpack and Module, but the car does not have and spark. The cam sensors does have voltage but ignition module has no spark. Could it be the crank sensor that is bad. This car is stock and has 70K on it, not driven much. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

Yes, but in your case I am unsure.

If the crank sensor goes bad, it will not run at all. This is at least my personal experiance. I had it on the hook for this myself. I don't recall what it does exactly. This is why I can't say it could be your problem for sure. Do a crank sensor search, and see if anyone can say what it enables. Fuel, ignition or something else. I just know it isn't like the cam sensor. It must be there and working 100% of the time, not just till the engine starts like how the cam sensor works.

Good luck with your problem.
Jeff

Crank sensor tell the coil pack when to fire. The cam sensor is for refrencing #1 on start up, both ing and inj.

Lots of effort went in to putting THIS INFO together.
If you haven't studied, hopefully it will help you out of the ditch.

GN not running

Hello Members,
I will try replacing the crank sensor and see what happens. Thanks for the info and replies.:)

before you just change out parts. Do you have DVM?There is away of checking for a signal to the module. I will look it up in my gm books.

This may sound dumb but it happened to me. Check the crank sensor with a DVM or just swap it as it is easy to do. see if this works but also check to make sure your balancer bolt has not come loose and the balancer has backed off the crank shaft. Hope thi helps.

Who set this up?

Originally posted by 19gn87
Lots of effort went in to putting THIS INFO together.
If you haven't studied, hopefully it will help you out of the ditch.

Wow!! That is most impressive! I know I will use this many, many times!

Thank you for supplying this link for all to use.

Jeff

My pleasure...the real thanks go to Steve for organizing the info and making it available to all.

Steve who? I'd like to shake his hand too!

Originally posted by 19gn87
My pleasure...the real thanks go to Steve for organizing the info and making it available to all.

He didn't even indicate who authored that masterpiece. :( At least not anywhere I could find! If he in fact compiled the info and did the layout for this, he should be very proud. Hell, just posting the link deserves kudos! Thanks again! :) I hope everyone else recognizes the value of this info. I plan on printing every page and stapling it into booklet form. (for myself) It will make a great at the car resource. Plus, I wouldn't want to lose it should the web page ever become unavailable.
(Like has, temporarily I hope, happened with the Turbo Regal Website.)

Jeff

Jeff,

It's Steve Wood's site. He contributes a great deal to this board and the Buick community in general. :)

Cranked Up

Thank you members for your input. I did replace the crank sensor and my GN cranked right up.
Thanks again:D

Cranked Up

Thank you members for your input. I did replace the crank sensor and my GN cranked right up.
Thanks again:D

Mine came from a local Napa I believe. The mechanic that installed it got the whole thing, switch and bracket complete. I say NAPA because I know that's where he usually gets his parts. Bottom line is though, it was in stock or next day through normal parts house truck delivery, not UPS or Fedex overnight shipping. If your having trouble finding them, I can find out for sure. Let me know.
Jeff

NAPA has them and the modules and coilpacks too.

Had to buy a module last week when mine died while idling in a driveway 35 miles away from home.

Luckily the Cromwell, CT store and wharehouse for NAPA was only 3 miles away.

Fixed in about 2 hours, took 45 minutes to find a torx wrench set, I had everything else with me for tools.

Big money however $209 for the module. :eek:

I take my spare coilpack and module with me now along with an ECM and chip, gotta have plug and play on the road. :)

Worth it to get a spare from Red Regal T. ;)