my car is making a wierd noise, help!!!!!

Rippin_V6

I'm gonna floor it!!!!
Tonight I was driving my car around and for no reason its started to make this whining noise when I get on it. It almost sounds like a supercharger type of noise under boost. And it smelled like something was burning:eek: Could it be the turbo? Thats what I'm thinking it is but I just want to be sure. The turbo is a CPT44 and it has only about 6000 miles on it. It still is boosting ok but I don't wanty to blow it apart or anything. Please help because I'm kinda worried:(

Hmmmmmm, maybe the Alternator bearing, or the alternator itself, sometimes when the diodes go bad they'll whine. Also might be the oil pump in the transmission. Take the serpentine belt off and start the engine to see if it does it, but dont drive it or leave it run for very long, that will eliminate the alternator being the culprit anyway:) Mark

My guess is also alternator, just had mine rebuilt. I had the smell and the "whine". It finally let go and left me stranded, and in its last moments REALLY smelled bad. Tried to make it home but didn't. Good luck.

George

Yeah.. go remove the belt, and see what that does first. If that doesnt do it, I would check your trans fluid and see if it looks or smells burnt.
.. check the condition of your drivebelt, also. Make sure it is tight, and not slipping around. The tensioner should keep it in check,. I have seen loose tensioners lead to slipping belts, and slipping belts can stink pretty good too. When my alternator seized on the van, it sounded just like a s/c whine when the belt was slipping over the pulley.