my car got stolen tonight

turbomontecarlo

im faster then you!
ok this is how it went down...i was sleeping when i hear a horn go off a bunch of times....i didnt think anything of it just some car alarm from some other car.......then i hear my car start!!! i rush to the window thats facing the street and u look out and my turbo monte was no where to be seen ....my brother jumps on the 911 call and i get my glasses and alert my parents.....so my brother is on the phone while im jumping in my dads town car to kill the mother ****ers that would ruin this fine example of a turbo monte...and right as i pulll out of te drive way my brother comes out yelling that the cops found my car...almost exactly 3 mins later.....but they crashed it into a house!!!!! :eek: and i pull my dads car back in the driveway and get out and they send a unit to my house ....a cop pulls up and takes all my info and then ask me if i wanna go see my car! hell yeah i wanna go see it.......so me my bro and the cop jump in the cop car and race about 2 blocks away from my house and there it is..my pride and joy plowed into a house!!!!!!.......i jump out and check the damage.....the car jumpped the sidewalk into a abandon house into the garage!!!! sweet a weak aluminum door!!! so they dust my car for prints and i get to jump in and check all my things out.....everything is fine.........except the stearing colum......it was broken.......besides that all is well...the car is now infront of my house once again where it belongs......batteray disconnected and all is well...........o they didnt catch the guys.! i'll kill them!!!!!!as u can see a lil anger is still in me....o well the TMC is fine and so am i..off to bed

THAT BLOWS!!! Well nothing that a pair of plyers and a blowtorch would not take care of.. (The thieves that is)

Wow! I know your happy it wasn't wrecked up too bad, especialy after being ran into a house. I sure hope you find out who did it! GOOD LUCK!

Our '80's GM cars take less than 1 minute to steal. The steering colume cover that surrounds the lower half is made of plastic. Beneath it is a thin push rod that pushes into the ignition switch from the ignition key switch.

Thieves break the plastic cover, pop the thin pushrod out, and push down on it with a screwdriver. This starts the car up quick without having to pop the ignition or turn the key! :eek:

Some companies sell a steering colume lock that prevents access to this cover and the steering shifter from moving. (But it won't work with floor shifter models obviously).

I have this. I modified it were one would have to use a bolt cutter to remove it. (Not something an average thief would carry around since it's too heavy and big).

I'm happy to say that the only real easy way to steal my Buick is by towing it away. I don't have an alarm since no one listens to those things anyway. :rolleyes:

I personaly believe that the 'ole kill switch is probably the best way to prevent one's car from being stolen if you don't have the afore mentioned lock. :)

Pittbull

So now that you're happy, when you getting a pittbull. Your car thieven budds are still on the loose. They will come back again! This is the perfect chance to get even them and make them feel your pain, when your car was taken. I am glad you got it back!! I had the same happen to me but didn't get mine back! I do however now have a mean junkyard dog. Nobody wants to come around!!! :confused:

yeah i think im going to go for the old kill switch.....hopefully they wont try to take my rims next.......the only crappy part is i have to replace the stering thing!!!! o man what a pain

Glad you got it back. As someone mentioned wire up a kill switch or two and hide them. There are some good ideas on gnttype.org.
I hooked up two on my girlfriends Z28. One is disguised to look like another switch and the other is hidden away.

Hopefully this doesn't come across wrong but here goes.... when I put some 100 spoke Player wire wheels on my 72 Monte the attention went through the roof. The problem was the people who's attention it was getting. All the little gangsters and thieves in town. Felt like a moving target. Within 45 min of bolting those wheels on someone ran into it at the house and then took off. They caught him the next block over. Arrested for drunk driving and hit and run.

Later on when changing all the tires onto the original rallys and selling the wires one of the guys at the shop is telling me to keep an eye on it that alot of people (the little gangsters) know about it. After I got rid of the rims it feels a lot safer. Still attracts a lot of attention being a super clean 72. There is just a certain element that the wheels seem to attract. Don't get me wrong, I liked the look and I would probably keep them if I kept the car in the garage and never drove it, but for me they were just too much hassle.
Just something to think about as I have had a few friends with Regals whos' cars were never messed with and as soon as they put on a set of rims they were getting broken into, stolen, keyed etc.
It's your car do what you like but get something to slow down the crooks. Most aren't going to take the time to diagnose why it won't start when they bust the ignition or try to hotwire it. I read somehwere before about someone with a tow truck would be able to take the car but my I feel that is highly unlikely. For one tow trucks aren't cheap and most likely anyone with a towing company isn't going to risk losing their insurance, business, and livelihood. I maybe wrong as their are certainly a few exceptions out there, but generally I don't think it would happen.
Well, that's enough rambling.....