My 84 3.8 Turbo Regal wont start - any ideas?

R

ROCK-N-RHONDA

I have put new 850 cca battery a few weeks ago. Saturday, after using our slow battery charging unit (don't know whether it was low or not) the car started.

It ran for a brief moment on Saturday, but then car died again. So I figured alternator (old one had 78 amp new one has 94 amp). I put the new alternator in yesterday.

But, no interior or exterior lights, battery shows as charged all the way (used neighbors battery charger).

NOTHING at all happens when I turn key. Doesn't appear to be any wiring problems that I can see.

Thought maybe some of you could give me an idea what might be wrong.

I am hoping its not a Control Module or Computer problem.

Thanks in Advance

Check the small red wire that goes to the + batt post with the big +battery cable.Mine had a bad connection right at the terminal.Have someone wiggle this wire around while you watch the lights.Also could be a bad connection at the starter terminal where the big wire hooks up to it.Tell us what is working and what is not.

NOTHING is working at all. Deader than a door nail.

I'd start with the basics.Check and clean connections especially the grounds.There is a big ground junction behind your ac compressor tighten and or clean it.Secondly, you need to check things out at the starter,I'd bet that is where the problem is.It may be corroded or loose there.Start by putting on the headlights or wipers and shaking pullling and pushing wires until something happens.You might stumble accross your problem this way, good luck..

Had a similar problem before. A nut on the starter solenoid came loose. It was where the battery cable went to. The tricky thing was it wasn't the nut that you would remove to remove the cable, but it was the nut behind it. What really got me is that is was an AC-Delco starter and that has been my first and only problem with an AC-Delco part to date. It was a quick fix too. Just something to check. If you have no power at all to anything, check the battery cables and make sure they're well secured to the battery, starter, and engine with no corrosion.

Update

It took awhile for me to get to because of the rainy weather here in the Seattle area.

About a week and a half ago, I replaced both battery cables with Genuine GM parts. The old Positive wire was fried right at the starter (no protect wrap left). I also tighten up the alternator belt and slow charged the new battery. Thanks for the help all.

Next in line, a good little 'ole tune-up.

My car does take 5 quarts of oil total - correct?

Should I use synthetic oil?

Five quarts is what you should put in. If you don't have an oil cooler (everyone should) than use an AC-Delco PF-52 filter instead of the PF-47 to gain a little more oil volume and filtration. As far as synthetics, if your car has over 50,000 miles or the motor is more than six or seven years old, you'll do more harm than good. Just stick with regular 10w-30 like the factory calls for if you have an older motor. My preferrence is Valvoline. Stay away from 10w-40 to ensure good lubrication and protect against sludging. Glad to hear you got the problem fixed.