My 200-4r is losing it's 1-2 punch???

SS-EXPRESS

Guys I have a dynotech built Street Strip 200-4r with Protorque 2400-2800 RPM 12" lock-up converter. The trans operated like a champ after I installed it and has been pretty much flawlessly the past 1-1/2 years or so its been in the car. I had a sticky TV problem but after talking to you guys I got that straightened out and its been good up until know.

When I was looking into getting one of these built people were recommending Dynotech so I went to them. A few people over at the Monte board told me not to be expecting a crazy 1-2 shift. I was rather surprised how good this thing shifted though. Some made it seem like it would shift rather smooth on the 1-2 but this thing was chirping the tires like crazy, up until now. I'm not sure how much maintenance these hi-po transmissions need but my trans definitely lost its 1-2 bang. It goes into second gear now real lazy on normal accelerations and at wide open throttle it is a little more firm but not much. The 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are definitely still 100%.

My question is what could be going wrong with my trans? Is there something that needs to be adjusted? Could I do it myself? Please do not tell me this thing is going to crap because this would be my 4th 200 I have been through.

It's not like I have a crazy fast car, 350 horse and maybe 400 ft-lbs and runs high 13's. I see you guys with the same trans as me in the GNs going way faster and not having any troubles. I will also try and get in touch with Eric at Dynotech to see if I can get this thing resolved.

Thanks guys.
Later

It might be the band is wearing out. There are several ways to adjust the band by shimming; BUT, once it starts wearing/burning it's normally down hill from there.

Yes, you could have the 1-2 accummulator piston replaced with like a Sonnax unit IF the pin is worn.

The spring in the 1-2 accumulator valve train in the valve body may have broke. It will cause soft 1-2 shifts if it happens.

What color is the trans fuild? If it's brown or black you're in real trouble. With the other 2 shifts being OK I doubt a TV cable adjustment will help.

There is several aftermarket servos out there for the 200-4R, but this will just be a "bandaid" fix if the band is going. And it will throw off the 2-3 shift from what it is now.

Could all the above mentioned things be fisxed without pulling the trans? Is this a costly fix?

This really sucks!!! Trans is supposed to handle 500 HP and 500 ft-lbs. What does that mean exactly one 1/4 mile pass? One year??? Why do we even run these transmissions?????

My bad just needed to vent!!

Hi-pro Trans

I Bought A Hi-pro Trans From Cottons.i Have Had This Trans For About 2yrs. Mine Is The Non L/u Version And I Have The Same Problem.i Expected To Get A Least 4yrs With No High Boost Launches.are They Going To Charge The 1450.00 Again?? You Would Think It Would Be Cheaper The Second Time Around.by The Way I Also Have An External Tranny Cooler.maybe this reply will make you feel better.

Sorry, but the band is inside the trans, so it must be pulled. The accumulator & servo parts don't require trans removal.

What happened with the TV before?

First off,nice ET's with your Monte SS..very respectable (y)
Out of curiosity,what servo do you have? Stock Monte SS,aftermarket?

The car wouldn't shift from 1-2 and seemed like it was free-wheeling when you let of the gas under load. I cured the problem by disconnecting the TV at the carb and pulling on it with the engine rpms up. This cured it and the car shifted perfect after this.

Im guessing its a GN servo. I think thats what the guys at Dynotech told me. Funny thing is when I picked the trans up they were like what is this going in? I told them and I told them how much power I was making and they laughed and told me that, "I wasn't even going to tickle this trans." That made me feel real good but now here I am. Now I don't even want to drive the damn thing!!!

Thanks for the compliment 84 Gn. She actually went 13.77 on mickey thompson ET streets.

It has been done about 12,000 or so miles ago. I will do it again soon, I was also wondering if transmission fluid is critical. The guys at the shop told me not to use any fancy synthetic fluid so I simply used generic dexron III stuff. Does the generic stuff tend to break down easier? Could this be my problem? I serously doubt that this problem would be that easy to fix. I have yet to meet a 200-4R that can stand up to me, and I don't even drive that hard. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Alright guys I'm a little more cooled down today and did talk with Eric at Dynotech. He said it could possibly be that the TV cable stretched and that I should readjust it back to the base line setting and go from there. He said it could also be a broken spring in the accummulator as well. The trans fluid is just a tad low and super clean, but I checked it before the car was fully warmed up. Later I will recheck the fluid when the car is full warm and I will readjust the TV. If that doesn't fix the problem I will be taking her up for a service. Hopefully a "service" is not to expensive as this trans is no longer under warrantee.

Late