Mustang for breakfast...

zeus87gn

Automotive Neurosurgeon
Well, I finally got the chance to prove it to myself. I really like the look of the new mustangs, but they're not all that.

I was on my way to drop off my 4yr old while coming to work this morning (carseat and all) and ended up at the stoplight right next to a beautiful white and red new model mustang. He had the 5 speed...he was rocking on the clutch, just waiting for the green light...never looked over at me. I was going to give him the 'thumbs up' for his sharp ride, but he was just watching the light. I figured I would see what happens.

Light changed...I left a little faster than normal to see what he would do. He jumped on second and I hit the gas. The woooooshhhhh factor took over and I pulled on him with only about 3/4 throttle. When my back bumper got even with his passenger door a half second later, he let off. I think he shifted into third and that maybe what killed him.

Anyway, it was a blast. Hadn't had that opportunity in a long time. My little one said "That was fun daddy, lets do that again!" :biggrin:

I saw them run at the track and it was a big disapointment. I'm not a Mustang fan but I do like watching muscle cars run ( if you can call it that). Even the new Vets run like sh*t. For the money you spend on them, wow, what a disapointment. They may get you on bends but not on the straight away. Never the less, no matter how infearior they are, its always fun to smoke one ! :biggrin: Glad to see the youngster enjoyed it to, just be carful with that next generation muscle car fan!!! Were you in your GN ?

86gngirl said:
Were you in your GN ?
Yep. Wouldn't have been able to do it in any other vehicle I own. As much as I hate to drive it daily, it gets better gas mileage than the Jeep. Now that I have the TT chip, it really runs good. Fuel mileage seems to have gotten better since I put it in.

I think I'm going to find an old stingray vette once I get the GN into good street condition. I've always wanted one of them. My little one will be about the right age to help me by then. Shoot, at the rate I'm going he will be old enough to help me with the GN when it's motor time! :p

86gngirl said:
I saw them run at the track and it was a big disapointment. I'm not a Mustang fan but I do like watching muscle cars run ( if you can call it that). Even the new Vets run like sh*t. For the money you spend on them, wow, what a disapointment. They may get you on bends but not on the straight away. Never the less, no matter how infearior they are, its always fun to smoke one ! :biggrin: Glad to see the youngster enjoyed it to, just be carful with that next generation muscle car fan!!! Were you in your GN ?

Running 12s in a bone stock car that also attacks a road course is running like ****? :confused:

Anyhow... great kill on the Stang! I'm not much of a fan of the new body style. The 3V heads are impressive and the chassis seems to be quite capable in Grand Am Cup.

ViciousV6 said:
Running 12s in a bone stock car that also attacks a road course is running like ****? :confused:

Anyhow... great kill on the Stang! I'm not much of a fan of the new body style. The 3V heads are impressive and the chassis seems to be quite capable in Grand Am Cup.
If you read my whole statment it said "for the money it is a disapointment".
Also "it may beat you on the bends". You had a GN that ran 11's( if I read right ), did you have $50,000 in to it? 12's stock isn,t bad but 20 years technology thats all they can come up with? And the one I saw run ran a high 13 in 1/4 mile. Wasn't impressed. I was referring to the stip that they are sh*t. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

86gngirl said:
If you read my whole statment it said "for the money it is a disapointment".
Also "it may beat you on the bends". You had a GN that ran 11's( if I read right ), did you have $50,000 in to it? 12's stock isn,t bad but 20 years technology thats all they can come up with? And the one I saw run ran a high 13 in 1/4 mile. Wasn't impressed. I was referring to the stip that they are sh*t. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

No, I didn't have $50k into my GN, but it was a one-way ride. It was also nearly 20yrs old. There are many other cars out there that get my nod in every category except straight-line ability. There's nothing wrong with that. I just don't think it is very accurate to say a bone-stock car running 12s is ****.

Our stock GNs could run high-13s and average low-14s back in the late 80s. That is still quite an accomplishment. They could be low-buck tuned into the 12s and 11s. Simply amazing for a small displacement engine with a hair dryer. That doesn't mean something like a 12 sec C6, nearly 10sec Z06, 11sec Viper or Ford GT is any less impressive. They are multi-faceted machines. Everyone knows there is a breaking point where speed and reliability aren't so easy. A $50-75k factory domestic running much quicker than 11s and 12s just isn't going to happen.

Either way, that's not the point of this thread and I apologize for the jack.

I ran a new 5-speed Mustang on the street a while ago. It was close at first, but I pulled away on the top end. He was shifting well and chirping the tires in each gear, but it just didn't make enough power. Good kill.

Yeah, see them all the time at the track.

The announcer calls them rustangs becuase they are so slow even the 350z shocked me on how slow they are. I personally liked the late 80's model 5.0, thought it was fast till I got hold of this "BLACK BEAUTY", eat' em up all the time mustangs that is. Good kill and if its a Mustang it wont be your last Kill, but watch out because I seen one on two guys garage that put a blower on it tuned it and a couple of other goodies and cranked out 500+ horses and 500+ torque, but that is with any car, you never know what you are up against.

EGOKILR said:
Good kill and if its a Mustang it wont be your last Kill, but watch out...
I know that's true. After I pulled on him, he turned into the local workout gym for what I'm sure was his morning routine. There are a slew of rides in that parking lot from rice to nice along with a number of varied mustangs. I'm sure the word will get around with the younger crowd of college fellow mustang owners.

ViciousV6 said:
I apologize for the jack
No problem. I love good automobile conversation.

Bone stock 12's

The new Mustangs WILL NOT RUN 12'S BONE STOCK. BONE STOCK means stock everything , tires, tune, suspension, tranny, engine and pump gas. They WILL NOT do it. I've seen plenty at the track 13.6 is the best I've seen from BONE STOCK. I like the new mustang but they are not 12 second cars in STOCK trim.

87 GN

ViciousV6 said:

You also left out the Sh!!!y 198mph top speed. :rolleyes: :biggrin: