Mustang 5.0 encounter.

I was in the "having some fun" mood on my way back with my Turbo Trans AM while turning down a 1 mile...one lane staightaway. Low an behold I notice a 93 Mustang GT 5.0 cruising around 60 mph. Unfortunately the road is only one lane and comes to a 90 degree right turn into another one laner. All of a sudden the Mustang guy punches it coming out of the apex (wants to show the TTA who's boss ;) ...in reply I half heartedly punch it..usually I don't race people on one lane...esp while being behind him.... I start to immediately real him in until we get to a stop sign....but again it's only one lane :( Then the guy knowing that I am ready for him this time...doesn't bite and roles off the line as if granny is driving. I give him the thumbs up as I roll by...but the guy turns into a residential street and has this serious look doesn't even reply.

I was really looking forward to lining up (boosting) on him --this time in 2 lanes!!! :( The Mustang sounded moded..headers , probably one of those Cobra engines...those 5.0s don't make enough torque stock to break tires loose moving 30 mph.... Thus it WOULD have been an interesting race...if the guy wouldn't had copped out at the last minute. I wanted to give the guy "It's only a V6" response :p The Mustang seemed like a cool car...too bad the driver wasn't up for the challenge.

Actually...It could have been a 91-92. Either way it wasn't stock. In stock form those cars are only runnin 300 lbs of torque and he was able to break the tires loose on a 40 mph. Nevertheless it would have been an interesting race if he would have gone.

Speaking for myself...I don't think nailing it on a 1 lane road and pulling away from people BEHIND me to demonstrate the "awesome power" of my vehicle is really proving anything to anyone??? It's a way to trying to look "cool" without putting oneself in any risk of having their a** handed to them. I will keep an eye out for that Mustang.

Moving 30mph or 40mph, when in 2nd gear with 3.55s, my Stang would spin the tires no problem when going straight (not even around a turn and/or clutching it). All I had was an offroad pipe, 2.5" after cat with 2-chamber flows, cold air, and UD pullies - maybe putting out 230rwhp. But....Stangs are light in the ass end.

It all depends on the gears. With the 3.73s or 4.10s, a Mustang will break the tires in 2nd. My car at 30 in 2nd will blow the tires away, but then again my car isn't stock! It is hard to tell with Mustangs you race (kind of like Buicks) but most are stock with exhaust and gears!

Originally posted by 5.0mustang
It all depends on the gears. With the 3.73s or 4.10s, a Mustang will break the tires in 2nd. My car at 30 in 2nd will blow the tires away, but then again my car isn't stock! It is hard to tell with Mustangs you race (kind of like Buicks) but most are stock with exhaust and gears!

Damn 5.0mustang, I think you are now on every board I am a member on... Hey, tell 'em about your dad!!! j/k

If it was a 93 it would have been a newer body style than a 91 or 92. 93 was the only yr the newer body style had a 5.0 in it.

Probably, I am on thirdgen, ls1, corral, mustangworks, all the Buick ones, and even a Nissan board (don't ask)! I like all American cars so therefore I go on there boards and check them and their owners out!

Oh ya my dad just has a 1991 5.0 that runs 13.3 with...

Originally posted by Trackmagic11
If it was a 93 it would have been a newer body style than a 91 or 92. 93 was the only yr the newer body style had a 5.0 in it.

Actually the '94 was when the new body style started, and the '94 and '95 stangs had the 5.0's in them. '96 is when they started using the modular 4.6. :)

crablouse is right, the 93 was the last fox body 5.0, and it came with hyperutectic pistons, not forged, and although rated 205hp, made the same as the older 5.0s, just could not handle big power! The 1994 and 1995 SN-95 Mustangs had 5.0s, w/forged internals, and were decant but heavy. The 96-98s were the bad years in my eyes, and the 99-03 are getting better. I am not a fan of the modular motors, but I don't mind them and they will grow on me!

I am a Mustang fan also...the 69 Mach 1, 69-71 Boss 302, 351, 429 and the 03 Cobra. The problem in Corona is there are soooooo mannny Mustangs to choose from. I have went out looking for some fun and none of these guys will line up with my TTA. I am not THAT aggressive...but I wont back down from a challenge...esp some teenager in a 5.0 who's going to show the Turbo Buick what's up.

That's alot of mods for high 13's when you could get a stock turbo Buick with a good fuel pump and a decent exhaust in the low 13's to even high 12's in stock form. ;)

I know my car should be going faster, but that run was made a week after begining on a 5-speed. It should be going 13.5s or so on the street tires, and low 13s on ET Streets! Hey my dads 1991 LX goes 13.31 on an untouched motor, so I know my car is slow!

I don't know no, I found out that the vibration in my car over 3000 RPM is NOT good! My dad was thinking maybe it has something to do with the clutch! The car violently shakes and rattles at 3000+ and even worse on deceleration! Under normal driving it is fine, but it is pretty bad. I am thinking, this along with the RICH running condition might have hurt my times. Also I know it was the driving, I did the old lift and shift, and went 13.90, so with a few powershifts and nothing else, I should see a 13.6 or so!!!

Vibration.....is it the driveshaft? Did you ever check the harmonic balancer on the motor? Ever have it taken off? If so, was it installed with the proper tool?