MSD Wires

84GNGary

Long Time Owner
Anybody use the 8.5mm universal kit that MSD sells to make your own lenght wires ? Just curious about how the crimps turned out with the tool that comes with it.

Anybody use the 8.5mm universal kit that MSD sells to make your own lenght wires ? Just curious about how the crimps turned out with the tool that comes with it.

Not sure what criping tool they supply, but, the wires I purchased last year had the 2 flat plates/dies. The crimps are factory looking!
Only problem is that it takes 3 hands to get it right.

If $$$ is not a constraint ;) , purchase the special crimping pliers for around $35.
MUCH faster and easier, but the end result is the same.

I am going to get the kit for an 8 cylinder it's the same cost as the 6 cylinder kit :confused: . So I get 2 screw up's :biggrin: The only pre-made kit they sell is for 86/87 which won't fit our cars very well.

I am going to get the kit for an 8 cylinder it's the same cost as the 6 cylinder kit :confused: . So I get 2 screw up's :biggrin: The only pre-made kit they sell is for 86/87 which won't fit our cars very well.

Well, you did NOT scew up. ;)
I purchased the 8 cylinder set and had 3 spare wires (2 cylinders plus coil wire) so when the 3 on the PS deteriorate from the heat (up pipe), I am good. :D

Wait! I used 2 spares as practice. :eek:

They work great. We use a vice to put the crimping tool in. Take your time and follow the supplied suggestions with the kit. Good luck

as everyone has said and, use alot of dielectric grease,so boots will slide over terminal. also, i used TNC crimmpers ( radio shack) theres a size that was perfect on them for the wires. get the v8 kit so you can practice.

Did your kits come with instructions on how to use their crimping tool ?
Mine didn't.

ok so you guys are saying this is the way to go now? i havent bought a set of wires in sometime and with the new motor i think it might be a good idea? Are there any pre made sets worth buying? i know i know i could research but its hard over here to do it. once i get back home things will be better.

ok so you guys are saying this is the way to go now? i havent bought a set of wires in sometime and with the new motor i think it might be a good idea? Are there any pre made sets worth buying? i know i know i could research but its hard over here to do it. once i get back home things will be better.

I could not find a pre made set for our cars except the Mag Wire set that some of the vendors sell. I bought the 31183 kit which is 8.5 mm black wire. The spark plug multi angle boot and connector is already installed. All you have to do it cut the wire to the proper lenght and put on the 90 degree connector and boot that goes on the ign module. It was $80 for the kit, and takes about an hour to make the set.

Anyone have any measurements handy for what a "fitted" set would consist of?

I was able to get the MSD dies, stripping block, and enough wire and boots for two sets for $149 shipped.

Next time around it will just be the boots and wire....:cool: