MSD question

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
Still looking for parts for the build so here's the question. I'm thinking about using an msd 6btm and accessories for timing. This is a carb turbo set up so as far as just having the better ingnition and boost retard is it better than the factory esc? :confused:

That's similar to the setup I had on my 83 and it ran great. It was an MSD box with the adjustable boost retard. Don't know how it compares to stock, but I could tell a difference with the adjustable timing. No numbers, just overall feel of the car.

depending on you budget-you could get the 6T and plug the timing control into it as well - it's not a slick as the boost defined retard, but i had a knob on the dash and could adjust the timing 10 degrees either way. i launched with boost so the timing was pulled back all the time, but it did vary depending on the temp and how much alky was in the water injection. if i ever took the car out to go to work or something, i would just turn up the timing from in the car for better mileage and driveability off boost. i really liked having the driver adjusting knob on the car.

This is a carb turbo set up so as far as just having the better ingnition and boost retard is it better than the factory esc? :confused:

You use the 6BTM along with the stock ESC. Just add some timing retard until it doesn't knock.

A knock gauge makes life easier.

I was planning to use a knock sensor and a 6al with a boost timing retard box instead of the esc. How would you link them?

What year is your engine?

I just added the MSD like on any other engine. The two systems work independently of each other.