MSD DIS-6 a good choice?

racerxrick

Getting my 87' GN together and going through it and upgrading after purchasing from a friend. Currently has a FAST classic. Updates and maintenance after 10 years off the track.

Wanting a two step and a Turbo 6 friend has an extra DIS-6 box available.

Also looking at integrating a TurboSmart boost controller.

Any thoughts or comments on this combination?

a. the DIS 6

b. TurboSmart electronic boost controller

Thanks in advance!

This is my thought on the ignition, A good stock ignition with a hotwire kit will be enough to support 8 second power on a full weight car. If you really want the 2-step than the Bob Baily box is the way to go. Just don't get overly ambitious with the plug gap.
AG.

This is my thought on the ignition, A good stock ignition with a hotwire kit will be enough to support 8 second power on a full weight car. If you really want the 2-step than the Bob Baily box is the way to go. Just don't get overly ambitious with the plug gap.
AG.

I understand the stock ignition is very capable and (especially with me) there is benefit to the KISS/keeping it simple stupid. I was thinking a 2 step just simplifies launches and if I can incorporate that and a quality ignition for $350 than maybe a good plan. Not familiar with the Bob Bailey box though i see it's priced at $229.

What is a hotwire kit? (may have already been done)

I understand the stock ignition is very capable and (especially with me) there is benefit to the KISS/keeping it simple stupid. I was thinking a 2 step just simplifies launches and if I can incorporate that and a quality ignition for $350 than maybe a good plan. Not familiar with the Bob Bailey box though i see it's priced at $229.

The hotwire modification basically feeds the ignition module with voltage directly from the alternator. Works on the same principle as hot wiring the injectors or fuel pump and eliminates the crappy factory wiring. Whatever ignition you chose you should consider doing this anyway.

I can't speak from experience but it seems the MSD DIS set-up can be a problem. From what I was told the boxes were trouble prone. For me that was a turn-off considering it was another failure point since it didn't eliminate the factory coil pack and module and just added another thing to fail or cause intermittent issues. Then again other guys have run them successfully. I would do some searching around and see what info you can dig up on that. There are other options available out there if you want a 2-step such as the Bob Baily ignition set-up.

If you are considering going to an XFI than you can simply purchase a add-on module from Hartline that allows the XFI to handle the 2-step with the stock coil pack and module. It is relatively cheap after the purchase of the XFI.
AG.

Bob bailey has a 2 step for stock ignition that works well.

I appreciate the solid response. I had almost talked myself into it then again I keep thinking the same thing...just something else to complicate things and fail.

I'll have to look and see if the ignition has been hot-wired in the past or not.

The hotwire modification basically feeds the ignition module with voltage directly from the alternator. Works on the same principle as hot wiring the injectors or fuel pump and eliminates the crappy factory wiring. Whatever ignition you chose you should consider doing this anyway.

I can't speak from experience but it seems the MSD DIS set-up can be a problem. From what I was told the boxes were trouble prone. For me that was a turn-off considering it was another failure point since it didn't eliminate the factory coil pack and module and just added another thing to fail or cause intermittent issues. Then again other guys have run them successfully. I would do some searching around and see what info you can dig up on that. There are other options available out there if you want a 2-step such as the Bob Baily ignition set-up.

If you are considering going to an XFI than you can simply purchase a add-on module from Hartline that allows the XFI to handle the 2-step with the stock coil pack and module. It is relatively cheap after the purchase of the XFI.
AG.

F_ _ _ M.S.D. Junk ,went through 4 DIS boxes in 2 years they will never get another dime of mine .It works great until you need it to
Bob Baileys Stuff is flawless and the support if you need it will be hard to beat .he makes super products

You mean the MSD DIS-4 box (4 channels of spark control)? A failed DIS-4 cost me a motor years ago. Additionally, when using the DIS-4, I had to change coil packs regularly as they would start to break down internally and cause some popping (misfire) under high loads. The factory coil pack is just not designed for 350-400 volts (CD) of primary voltage.

F_ _ _ M.S.D. Junk ,went through 4 DIS boxes in 2 years they will never get another dime of mine .It works great until you need it to
Bob Baileys Stuff is flawless and the support if you need it will be hard to beat .he makes super products

well, I wish you would tell me what you really thing ;-)

Seriously it's good for me to hear this and I really don't need more complication. Thanks!

I had a msd dis box, its was junk, save your money. If you want to do something wise use a J&S knock retard system.