Mr. Craig Smith, quick question....

Blown86GT

Who and how much would it cost to get my Speed Pro checked out? I think I might be having problems with it. Also can I send the wide band as well for a check out as well?

Paul

Mr.? Wow, no one calls me mister!!! :D

Anyways, maybe the best thing to do is to post your problem here and see if the gang here can help you figure something out. If it looks like the ECU needs to be returned for service I can take it from there.

OK here is the problem...

I recently had to replace the cam in my supercharged (10lbs of S-Trim boost in my 408 Mustang. It turns out Comp Cam originally gave me a cam which had been ground down past the hardend metal. The cam was brittle on several lobes. I discovered this while hunting for a low oi pressure problem. (I discoverd the oil pump had been severely gouged due to metal in the oil).

Anyhow, they sent me an identical cam. I reinstalled it exactly as the old one which came out (4 degrees retarded). However the car was severely down on power. I rechecked, rocker arm setup, valve springs, distributor install, everthing which I thought could cause this. I even did a leak down check on the motor and it came back fine; 4% for each cylinder.

I know this is a pretty open ended problem as there could be several culprits. However I am wanting to eliminate the Speed Pro as one of them. Any advice is appreciated.

Paul

BTW--I sent the motor off to my builder to see if there is any problems.

Usually if there is a hardware problem of some sort in the FAST, the car just won't run and nothing will work.

Can you describe the "down on power"? Does it lose high end HP? Low end grunt? Is it knocking? Is there a bog? Does it idle okay? Is the IAC the same at idle now as it was before you changed the cam? Do you see any Knock Retard?

If the problem does involve the FAST, then it's probably a tuning thing and not a hardware issue.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org