Moulding and Emblem Removal

Polecat

Earlier this winter I purchased an 87 GN that was repainted approximately two years ago. The emblems of the front fenders are placed too high, the rear emblem on the trunk seems to be in the right place but it has an intercooled emblem below it and one of the emblems on the hood is missing a letter.

I would like to remove these and place them in the appropriate locations. On the website I've located where the proper locations are for the emblems but I'm wondering what is the best way to remove these items. A guy I work with said to soak them with WD40 but I was concerned that this might damage the new paint. Has anybody safely removed these items?

Also, if this is easy to do I was also thinking about removing the side moulding to have a cleaner look to the car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 87 gn hood up edit 1.jpg
    87 gn hood up edit 1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 235
  • in garage edit 1.JPG
    in garage edit 1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 239
I thought I would add that this car has only about 33,000 miles on it. I purchased it from the estate of the original owner. It has sat for a long period of time in the garage that you see in the picture. It was simply parked and wasn't winterized when it was sitting. It was appraised in October 2008 and only has 200 miles on it since that time. In the second photo if you look carefully you can see the original owners scooter parked beside the car.

When I received the car it would start but not run. It only had an 1/8 of a tank of fuel so I filled it up with premium and threw in a bottle of stabil and she fired right up. I had a local garage owner that has his own GN check it over and they said its in very good condition. I only had the car for less than 24 hours before I had it hauled away to an indoor heated storage facility.

Oooops I meant to type that it was appraised in October of 2006 and has only had 200 miles on it since that time. It was appraised when it came out of the body shop from being painted.

I have used

dental floss which will cut the adhesive and then u roll the adhesive on the car with your fingers-now just get some double sided tape (3M) and put them were u want

Emblem/trim removal

Use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner Part Number 051135-08984. It will not damage the paint. Squirt some behind the emblem and let it soak in. Gently pry and squirt more in as needed. Just take your time. You can use this stuff to remove all the remaining adhesive/gunk that remains on the paint.
You can find this at any auto paint supplier, and many auto parts stores.

I've got to remove one of my emblems on my trunk. The dodo at the bodyshop put it on slightly crooked and it bugs the hell out of me.:mad:

BTW, nice looking GN. Clean out the fuel system and enjoy it.

try using a blow dryer on high heat to soften the glue and then use the dental floss. if you do it right you can put it back on with out having to replace the two sided tape. just be careful not to bubble the paint.

I've always carefully used a razor knife to cut the tape. Rolled it as described above and use a Martin Senour product called Klean EZ which is a body prep for paint to remove the glue. MS is a NAPA brand of Ditzler. That stuff is fantastic, takes nasty duct tape residue or Anything, even bugs, off with minimal effort. Safe before or on fresh paint. Must be wiped fully clean of it's drying residue before reapplying new 3M tape

Emblem Removal

I Like The Floss Idea.. I Usually Use The Wire Used To Remove Windshields. I Wind It Onto 2 Short Pieces Of Paint Stick,tape Around The Edges, I Work The Side Mlds And Emblems Off. Back And Forth With Little Pressure.. After The Emblems Come Off You Can Roll Off The Glue With Your Fingers.. You May Need To 1500 Or 2000 With A Block(wetsand) And Buff Due The The Emblem Glue May Have Softened The Paint.. Buff Out... Hey,good Luck...

I Like The Floss Idea.. I Usually Use The Wire Used To Remove Windshields. I Wind It Onto 2 Short Pieces Of Paint Stick,tape Around The Edges, I Work The Side Mlds And Emblems Off. Back And Forth With Little Pressure.. After The Emblems Come Off You Can Roll Off The Glue With Your Fingers.. You May Need To 1500 Or 2000 With A Block(wetsand) And Buff Due The The Emblem Glue May Have Softened The Paint.. Buff Out... Hey,good Luck...

+1

I use to work as a detailer, and when ever people would ask me how to take off their emblems, i would always say Use dental floss (2 pieces so its a little stronger) then rub off the adhesive.