motorization

GNnPH

At the USAC finals a couple years ago I seen a very clever install in one of the many demo booths. Guy was using air cylinders for motorization, it was so smooth, no jerking or bouncing of any sort. And it was completely noise free, no whining of the motor lifting the amp rack. Before a show he stops at the gas station to fill the tank with air, said it lasts all day. I didn't get into details of what he used, figured somebody on here might have seen it or actually installed a system close to this. Was gonna go with the linear actuators from Select products <bit pricey though> but after seeing these doors slide so smooth I was sold on the idea. I just hope it's not to difficult to incorporate in the system. Any ideas on how the system could be set up?

Cool!! I missed out on the air actuaters but it sounds like a cool idea :) . I will talk to my buddy Gary Biggs at kicker and see what he knows about them. As far as I know, he is still using the linear actuaters to open and close his trunk on his Buick via remote. As far as I know, you will need a resevoir tank, adjustable regulator, switch and air cylinder to make work. I will let you know what I find out from Biggs on the set-up.

Vaguely recall the car- It was a little black 2-dr rice burner crammed with equipment, great vinyl work also. It was a smaller speaker company can't recall the name, in fact they didn't even have a booth- just the car sitting in the middle of this carpeted section of the exhibition hall with a huge crowd around it. All of these sliding doors were remote operated with the Alarm outputs- must of had like seven different outputs to control it all. I checked to see how much these air cyclinders would run- they were like $15 each!! Of course you still have to buy the tank, regulators, and other. Hopefully Biggs has some input as to why nobody else is using this technique of moving panels.

As a manufacturing engineer, sometimes I have to design machines, tools, etc that require movement etc. Air cylinders are VERY common.....Bimba is probably the biggest manufacture...

fairly cheap also, 6" stroke can be had for less than $50, add a couple 12v solenoids, some way to activate it, flow control valve, less than $150 you have motion....

Would take some creative routing so you don't hear air as it releases....but possible...

Motion could be smoothed with some type of shock, if cylinder itself wasn't smooth enough.....

Find bimba online, the catalog has a lot of cylinders to choose from...

Jeff