Motor rebuilding questions.

Bob Avellar

I will be pulling my motor out for rebuilding soon. It developed a rod knock i think. Motor was rebuilt 150,000 miles ago and I don;t think the crank was turned at that time. I also have 2 spare cranks-one which I think can just be cleaned up and the other that will need at least .10 Here are some questions:
1. I plan on rplacing the cam bearings. I have an 85 stock cam from another motor that is in good shape. Cam is the same as an 86,right? Mine is an 86.
2. Do i need to replace the lifters. If so what should i use?
3.Do I have to have the lifter bores honed or anything?
4.When the rods are resized doesn't this increase the diameter? If so How does this affect the rod bearingssize?
5. If the crank has to be turned lets say .010" and the rods have been resized how does the machinist get the proper clearances at the rod bearing journal? Limited numbers of oversize bearings are available,right?Do they resize the rod first and then take off an appropriate amount of the rod journal on the crank? Or do they turn the crank and then do the rods? A little confused about this part of the machining proces.
6. With an oversize bearing is the increase in bearing thickness accomplished by increasing the thickness of just the soft,embedable part of the bearing or is the steel backink also thicker? Do manufactures all do them the same way?
7. I plan on doing this as economically as I can-I'll pull the motor and take off the intake and heads, etc, and just bring the block,cam crank,dampener,flywheel to the machine shop. Does the machinist reassemble the bottom end or do I need someone else to check clearances and assemble the bottom end? I have 3 people in mind that I could let handle all the assembly and have them deal with their own machinists. One was the rebuilder of this motor 150,000 miles ago. Another is Bob Borelli who lives nearby but I don't know if he would actually do it, and another is a reputable engine builder that has done all kinds of motors and has good recomendations. I prefer to do it locally .
8. My compression was perfect, heads were rebuilt before, and I don't plan on even touching the cylinders,pistons, or rings. My first motor had 150,000 miles on it before it through 2 rods out of the block but the cylinder wear was almost nothing on that motor and I expect the same this time. Sound reasonable?
Thanks!!!!

The rods have a spec that they must fall within. They will just clean up the rods and if it will go out of spec, they just cut the surface of the rod down where the cap and rod meet, to close it up, and then resize the big end. The crank also has a spec that it must fall within. If the rod and crank is within spec, the clearance will be within spec. For cranks that have been turned .010, or more, just use a bearing that is that much thicker. Not sure what part of the bearing is made thicker.

Just learned this from the shop that did my engine.

Oh yeah, I did a compression check while the engine was on the stand - cold. All 6 between 175 and 179. Three of my pistons were cracked! They were all cracked below the oil ring.

h yeah, I did a compression check while the engine was on the stand - cold. All 6 between 175 and 179. Three of my pistons were cracked! They were all cracked below the oil ring.

Good point. I will be sure to have them checked!