motor or suspension?

Derekflip

I am new here and was just wondering which way to go with a 87 gn 50k miles on it. Should I build the motor first or the suspension. and what are the proven combs? thanks for the help

It depends on what you are shooting for on performance, one wont work without the other but you can still drive it with upgrades and notice the difference right away if you do the suspension first you really arent going to tell much till you get the power, I would go engine and tranny first, there a lot to be had in getting a excellent shift to gain alot on the car.

I vote suspension.

You can run pretty darn quick on an unopened stock motor with the right bolt ons. They are pretty stout too so they will last a long time at elevated power levels without falling apars as long as you avoid knock and running lean, but they will kill any enging built up or not.

All the power in the world will do you no good if you can't put it to the ground.

What is your budget, when you say build motor are you meaning up grades or rebuild? You shouldnt have to do much if it is a good engine, bolt ons, will go a long way and depends on the condition of the car to start with, does it need new springs and shocks if they are good, do some bolton to the engine, put some airbags in the rear and kit the tranny if it doesnt shift correctly,

I would say practice honing in your skills at the track with the car stock first. Find out where your problem areas are and at least you'll be able to see what your car was capable of to begin with. After that, I would start with a set of stickies, a cold air kit and a downpipe. As long as you're hookin, I would just keep adding more bolt on power until HAVE to do something w the suspension. Then after the suspension is pretty much soild...add more power! :biggrin:

I used to think suspension was for the rich as all of my cars had gobs of power with stock suspensions. I was missing out.

The GN I own now has Bilstein shocks, ATR coil springs, ATR sway bars front and rear and UMI upper and lower rear control arms. It is a pleasure to drive. Having had some seat time in a completely stock GN it makes a world of difference and the car is very nice to drive. It actually handles well too.

Why not do a bit of both if it's in the budget. Add some body and seat braces while your at it too!

Go ahead and get the valve springs and timing chain done and out of the way in the motor

What is your budget, when you say build motor are you meaning up grades or rebuild? You shouldnt have to do much if it is a good engine, bolt ons, will go a long way and depends on the condition of the car to start with, does it need new springs and shocks if they are good, do some bolton to the engine, put some airbags in the rear and kit the tranny if it doesnt shift correctly,

as far as budget it goes, i want the best stuff out there so if it takes me longer to do i will wait to get it done. i meant to say bolt ons not rebuild. it has 47,xxx on it and is very clean. i am buying it off of a guy from this web site (GN for sale in chicago in the for sale section) he says it has a red armstong fuel pump hot wire kit 009 injectors k&n and a street chip. i was thinking a set of bilstein shocks and some braces ( seat and under hood ones) first and then i dont know where. thanks for all the imput.

If it has an original chain and gear it needs to be replaced, miles mean nothing, it is nylon faced and will come apart, if the other guy didnt do it I would at the least check it

I would bet it is still original and the oil breaks the nylon down over time and it will come apart, which plugs up your pickup screen for your engine oil pump and from there the rest is money

Go to the engine tech section and look at Changing My Timing Chain thread, and that will show you what happens and it always miles,(age)

To me, building the chassis first makes alot more sense as it creates a firm foundation to build upon later. Put every brace on you can, make sure all the body bushings are there and the rest of the suspension and driveline is up to the task of what you're going to put it up to. Having a stout engine isn't really fun if it constantly blows the tires off/breaks driveline pieces often. A solid car will still be enjoyable to drive even with a stock(ish) engine.

Having a stout engine isn't really fun if it constantly blows the tires off/breaks driveline pieces often.

Timing chain and valve springs are zero on the performance scale.
If the engine goes south beacause the chain slips and several valves break off.... its not going to be pretty

suspension
i put big bucks into an engine and all it does is spin the tires and wheel hops real bad.

Maintanence first then mods guys. You've got a 21yo car and rubber rots after 5. Nylon is almost as bad. I'd do the repair/ maintainance first and then work on the suspension. If it's still running but can't move because of a ball joint falling out or eating tires from a rotting bushing which is more important.