moonroof or hardtop?

TTA197

Which is more desirable a moonroof or hardtop on a G body car? Are moonroofs on these cars prone to leaks? Thanks....

I have an Astroroof and never had any problems with it. I would like a hard top to back half just cause its stronger.

I've had plenty of Rivieras with the astroroof and no leaks here either. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the car. I'd rather have the AR. Either way they are better than T-tops.

BTW both roofs suffer from the common cracking B-pillar so its probally a moot point anyway.

they all crack at the b Pillars....
I LOVED my astro roof ,nuthing better that having the T Top effect in 3second flat without leaving my seat....just awesome..less head room tho..

I think the astroroof is more desireable. An astroroof is far stronger than a T-top car, but has the same benefits. As others have said, it does lower the headliner a noticeable amount. My only fear with the astroroof was the ability to find replacement parts should something break.

I've owned 5 GN's and have always wanted a Astro Roof...especially being in Fla. Only 400+ were made in '87.

As far as strength its true the hardtop is stronger, but for your street car go with a AR ot TT. Plenty of cars have run 11s with no problems. If you run quicker than 11.49 you gonna need a cage anyway to run at most tracks. Also, I love tubbed cars, but with tire technology and suspension tech nowadays theres no need. Cars are running 8s on 10" tires now. :cool:

Hardtop all the way for me!! I plan on keeping my car for a long-time. Less problems/repairs/cracks. I love the look of the AR , but I would never buy one. Just my opinion.

My astro roof has never leaked. However, when I had my headliner replaced, it was expensive. I also had the rubber seal replaced at the same time. I read somewhere that the astro roof option was more expensive than t-tops.

I think from a collectablity standpoint, the astro-roof cars are more desireable. I replaced the weatherseal in mine when I did the headliner and have had no issues with leaks. Of course the car doesn't sit outside and rarely sees rain anyway. If I didn't have the AR I'd rather have a hardtop car though.

GNRick said:
My astro roof has never leaked. However, when I had my headliner replaced, it was expensive. I also had the rubber seal replaced at the same time. I read somewhere that the astro roof option was more expensive than t-tops.

Good point. I know the AR cost more but have never seen how much more. I have the window sticker from one of my Rivieras and it was listed as a $1152.00 option. And this was back in 1985.

Hammer231 said:
I think from a collectablity standpoint, the astro-roof cars are more desireable. I replaced the weatherseal in mine when I did the headliner and have had no issues with leaks. Of course the car doesn't sit outside and rarely sees rain anyway. If I didn't have the AR I'd rather have a hardtop car though.
where did you get your weather seal for your ar. mine needs a new one. thanks, gary

zpd307 said:
where did you get your weather seal for your ar. mine needs a new one. thanks, gary

I'm sure Eric Fisher (Bill Heard Chevrolet in Fla.) can hook you up. Right Eric? Eric- I got the stuff I won from you on E-bay- Water control valve, emissions sticker for heater core box, upper plenum gaskets....thanks! :)

zpd307 said:

Gosh, it's been so long now I really don't remember. It was a GM seal so I assume it's still available. I would go with any of the vendors/dealerships that can give you a good price on GM parts.

I have had a Hard top,T top and am picking up my 1st Astro hopefully next weekend from Bweavy. I got rid of a REALLY nice GN because it had T tops. I am not a fan of them.

The Astro roof seal is still available from GM at around 85.00 I think. Better check while you can though. I own one of each, a t-top, astroroof and a hardtop and as far as collectability, the astroroof car is probably more desirable. I have never had any problem from mine. But it is all a matter of opinion of the buyer in question I would say. :wink: