Mods

black84

Just wanted to ask all you buick gurus what mod I should purchase next. I just purchased a scanmaster and will install it sometime this week. Anyhow I'm stuck between buying a big mouth cold air kit or an alky kit since they're on special right now. Keep inmind that my car is all stock except for by walboro 340 boost gauge and scanmaster. Any opinions welcomed. Thanks Andy:D

I'd agree with the adjustable wastegate and definitely a fuel pressure regulator.

I'd be leery of buying an alchy kit right away and pumping up the boost unless you are already experienced with it. Of course, if you have no access to higher octane you'll want to get alchy right away. Just be careful before you start turning the wick up. When you get the alchy, you'll need a new chip, of course, and should look at getting bigger injectors too to be safe.

Luckily I have some gas stations that sell 100 octane nearby so I didn't go the alchy route. Alchy is cheaper in the long run though.

Definitely make sure everything is up to par before upping the boost with alchy or whatever.

You may want to look at downpipe, exhaust, sticky tires, among other things besides the cold air kit, althought its a good choice too.

dude, hooker exhaust with the included test pipe is a must! My car is basically stock also, and went from 14.2 to 13.6 on the exhaust mod alone. plus you are establishing the foundation for further mods (you already have the fuel pump...the other critical piece)

Keeping things simple, the motor is just a big air pump. To increase performance you must get more air in ( cold air system ) and more air out ( good flowing exhaust ). Once you can do that, you must add more fuel to prevent lean out ( adjustable FP reg and a good pump or two ). Now traction becomes a concern!! This should be your basic progression of mods AFTER you verify your motor is in a good state of tune. Once the flood gates open, it becomes a sickness and you won't ever be satisfied w/ your present performance level. Brian

Thanks guys for all the posts, I'll keep it simple and I'll get the cold air kit first. As far as exhaust I believe came with flow master. One other thing I was thinking of going with a Big Mouth and Ls-1 maf. Do I need to get a translaot plus to go with this maf. Oh forgot the walboro I have is hotwired. Thanks again Andy.