modded WRX won't run me

suprbuick7

My Nephew's best friend has a 2002 WRX stage 4 turbo kit, springs, clutch and other miscellaneous parts.

Me: 108,000 miles stock turbo, 3" mease w/ dump, Dutt neck stock IC, hotwired 340, adj FP, thrasher chip, 9" K&N, billsteins new "built" trans, 255 50 BFG DR's.

He is very leery about running me . When asked he avoided it all together.

He respects these cars unlike most ricers, but I don't get it.

His mother apparently a hotrod mama ( STI, LS1 T/A) wants a TR now

What don't you understand.

The fact that he is smart enough to know what a turbo buick is and that he might get beaten by one which would make him feel bad.

You really should give him credit for not being the average ricer and thinking he can beat anything on the street.And also knowing something about turbo buicks.

So I would give him thumbs up and respect him more for it not less!!

I tend to agree with the above statement. He obviously knows these cars and wants to save face because he knows he'd get STOMPED. At this point he can at least say he hasn't lost to you.

This isn't an animous situation. The kid is cool. there wouldn't be any harrassment either wayif I won or lost. I rode in his car & it is fast He does know about these Cars, but I would want to know if one is faster than the other. Doesn't he get tired of racing rice

I've got this kid with about the same year WRX who believes he can beat my 87 Turbo-T. Since my transmission is slipping bad I just smiled and and told him to wait. He has been bothering me as of late. He was showing off one day and that way he starts off from a stop tells me that he has not clue what he is doing (or trying to throw up a smoke screen). It really wasn't pulling too hard. My wife's 98 TA would smoke.it. He wants to put money on it. I guess once the StreetFighter is installed I'll take is money to help pay for it.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I tend to agree with the above statement. He obviously knows these cars and wants to save face because he knows he'd get STOMPED. At this point he can at least say he hasn't lost to you.

He did say it was a stage 4. There would be no stomping with a mildly modded GN like that, pump gas to pump gas. I dyno'd saturday and a guy was there with a stage 4 wrx. It made 275 wheel hp and 265 wheel tq. And you know AWD is more parasitic than R or FWD. It's conservative to say 330 at the crank. I'm not saying the kid would win, I am saying it won't be a joke of a race. that car should be good for 12.8's with a decent driver.

Oh yeah? :cool:
I graduated in '01. I've seen a few WRX's floating around campus in the past 2 years. Lucky people!! I can't imagine having a stage 4 at 18 years old!

Parents have Lotso $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But he is a cool kid. He graduated w/ my nephew from Salesianum. My TR was just sitting in the garage. I put it away and focused on my new business. I rode in that WRX and decided it sat long enough.

By the way, my picture is in that wall mural @ "the pavillion" when you first walk in. My buddy and I are on the right side holding up #1's. We cut school to go to the National Championship Parade. "I'm Famous"

Jon

Originally posted by ez at nova
He did say it was a stage 4. There would be no stomping with a mildly modded GN like that, pump gas to pump gas. I dyno'd saturday and a guy was there with a stage 4 wrx. It made 275 wheel hp and 265 wheel tq. And you know AWD is more parasitic than R or FWD. It's conservative to say 330 at the crank. I'm not saying the kid would win, I am saying it won't be a joke of a race. that car should be good for 12.8's with a decent driver.

Those cars are hard to get a good launch and not break parts,smoke clutches etc.

So if he got a great launch and shifted it competantly without breaking parts it would be a close race.But one messup and he either cost himself alot of money(due to broken parts) or lose the race

I'd put my money on the turbo buick and would win probibly 9 out of 10 times.

And if he lost he would have the I've got a $24.000 car with an extra how many thousands of extra dollars in it and now a 17 year old car with much less in it just handed it to him.It wouldn't be a good feeling.:D

Once again the kid is smarter then most!

A lightly modified GN would take a stage 4 any day of the week. I think you said the dyno was 260 and 260ft. lbs or something like that. Lets just say my dyno was 382hp and 506 ft. lbs on pump gas and 21 pounds of boost and i hung with an 03' viper on the street. We were neck and neck before he missed a shift ;) . Torque carries the horsepower, thats why i could hang with him and thats why that WRX would be walked all day long. No torque.

Craig

Originally posted by BADASS86GN
A lightly modified GN would take a stage 4 any day of the week. I think you said the dyno was 260 and 260ft. lbs or something like that. Lets just say my dyno was 382hp and 506 ft. lbs on pump gas and 21 pounds of boost and i hung with an 03' viper on the street. We were neck and neck before he missed a shift ;) . Torque carries the horsepower, thats why i could hang with him and thats why that WRX would be walked all day long. No torque.

Craig

no offence to Super (just stating the facts) but looking at your car, Badass, compared to Super's, he is going to be at least a second slower than you I would think...which puts him right in a stage 4's territory. The only saving grace is his BFG DR's. On 225's it's the Suby's race.
You guys underestimate these Subarus...they are not some honda with 250 hp and 90 lb ft or tq.
I bet Badass's car would take a stage 4 given his mods, but I'm not real sure about Super's.

Hey EZ, none taken. I don't have a ton of mods right now, just the basics but, I want to feel each new mod as I get faster. I would rather go at him w/ less and pull off the upset. Bone stock less exhaust and K&N, this car w/ me ran a 13.6 @ Atco.
I know for a fact from my nephew that this kid can't launch the car that well. I'm gonna get him to race

If it isnt a Turbo XS stage 4 than dont worry. If it is, hope you can run into the 11's. Because that is where that car will go. Make shure when you race that you have at least a 1/4 mile lenght. If it is shorter he will whoop on you with that AWD.
Side note: quit callin WRX's ricers, 99% of them have the money under the hood. Personally I have never seen a WRX with more cash into show than go.

Nick

I actually like the WRX I drove the particular one I will race. They don't sound like typical rice and I would rather be driving that than my WH1 on a rainy or snowy day