Modded Eclipse vs my "fake" Gran National

D

dconnor

Got bored yesterday & hadn't driven the T lately, so I spent some time getting it into cruise mode (Some M/T Sportsman Pros I picked up at a garage sale for $10 & 17~18 lbs of boost) & dumped a few gallons of xylene homebrew on top of the 1/4 tank of 110 unleaded already in the car. After taking the Buick for a couple of test passes on a deserted backroad, (the M/T's will hold ~5 lb launch before going up in smoke, not too shabby) I cruise around to a few of the area's more popular "weekend drive" spots. Headed over to the Houston Galleria area & spot quite a few vettes, porsches, beemers (including a Z8), a Testarossa, 2 Diablos, a handfull of Vipers, a BIG group of crotch rockets & the obligitory riced out econo-boxes on every corner; but unfortunately the streets are WAY too crowded to do any playing.

Decided to head down to the Clear Lake waterfront for lunch & to check out the ever present parade of high dollar speed boats down there. After a VERY good lunch (if anyone ever comes down here check out Boondoggle's on Nasa Rd 1!!!) I decided to head over towards the mall & finish up some X-mas shopping for the GF. As I pull out of the pub I noticed a Fast & the Furious'd Eclipse (BRIGHT yellow with Asian lettering across the hood & a jumbo F1 looking wing) turning onto the road from an eatery across the street. As I pulled out onto the road & stopped at the light (which are notoriously LONG in this part of town) the Eclipse pulls up next to me with the techno music blaring.

The driver of the Eclipse looks over (early 20's or so, typical spikey hair-do), turns down his music & makes some comment like, "Ehh man is that a Gran National? I thought they were all black!" I told him no it's a Turbo-T to which he replies, "Ohhh so it's a FAKE Gran National, man that's cool I GUESS for a domestic POS" with a smirk on his face. He then proceeds to tell me his car is a GS-T with a lot of hella fast mods & that he has killed every domestic he raced, including a modded Cobra & a ZO6. As the light turned green, I told him to follow me if he was up to racing an old Buick with just a v6 & he nodded his acceptance giving his car a few high revvs as if he wanted to make sure the 5" fart muffler was still there.

I lead the way to some nice new concrete back roads that had recently been put in for an impending housing development & have already been conveniently marked off for the 1/4 mile. In the mean time, he apparently called a few buddies, because by the time we got to the race spot there was a Neon, 2 Civics, an Integra & a girl in a v6 Firebird all huddled behind the Eclipse. We pulled to the side of the road & the Eclipse driver came walking up (buddies in tow) saying that he isn't going to race for less than $50 and it'll take $100 for him to pop his hood. I tell him $100 sounds fine (genious in the Neon spots off with, "man this domestic losah is in for it Kev is the fastest guy in our group!") & they can look under my hood for no extra charge. Kev says that he's seen under the hood of a Gran National before, and since mine is an obvious fake he doesn't even need to bother with seeing my motor. We spend a few minutes negotiating the race details & he agrees to heads up off of v6 girl's headlight flash.

As she heads down to the end of the road, eclipse guy gets in his car & proceeds to do a couple of wheel hopping clutch dumps & I wait for the firebird to get positioned before cleaning off the M/T's, lining up & turning on my parking lights to signal that I'm ready. As I hear the eclipse come up on the revvs I build ~5lbs of boost rolling into the throttle as the firebird flashes it's lights. The M/T's squawk on the edge of breaking loose & the eclipse is right next to me for the 1st 10~15 feet or so until my boost hits HARD once my foot rolls past the ~3/4 floored point. My T goes into warp drive with the sportsmans giving one last CHI-RUuup then biting HARD. As the eclipse quickly fades from my peripheral vision I glance over at the boost guage & scan master (right between 17~18lbs of boost, .790 on the O2 & zero knock, JUST where I wanted it!) then check the rear view for a glimpse of the eclipse; ~1 1/2 cars back & fading at ~1/8th mile & a solid 4 cars by the end of the 1/4 :cool:

His buddies caught up to us as I was collecting my $200 from the girl in the firebird who had a total jaw dropped, "I've seen the light" look on her face. The driver of the eclipse kept mumbling "HOW in the hell did that domestic brick beat me? I just ran 12.5@111 on the G-tech, that's my fastest street run EVER!" After a few minutes explaining what was done to my car, (these guys weren't too bad & were actually car enthusiasts who spent some time actually attempting to make thier cars faster, unlike the stereotypical ricer) and taking a peek at each other's engine bay I headed off to the GF's to celebrate hearing comments of, "nice car even tho it is a domestic POS & damn I never thought Buick would be that fast!" :D

Doug C.

"fake" GN

hahahaaa...that is so good Doug, nice kill. I'm suprised he didn't think it was a Monte! I get that every once in a while. what mods. do you have done? later...

Awesome story.

All I want to know is where you live that you can pick up slicks at a garage sale....I want to move there.

Jim

Nice kill

Gotta love taking money from ignorant people:D He'll probably go and warn the rest of his buddies about how fast the fake GN's are LOL!!!;)

what kind of mods do you have?

what mods. do you have done?

Well since a couple of different people asked I SUPPOSE I can share ;)

CPP Competition shortblock:

stock block, new stock crank, CPP spec 206 cam, 9:1 forged pistons (Venolia), billet caps on the centers, RJC girdle, everything balanced & blueprinted

Stock heads freshened up with new springs etc... & 3 angle valve job

Ported stock intake & modded doghouse w/ 65mm throttle body

50# injectors (w/ matching CPP street chip burned for my combo)

TE-61 turbo w/ PTE .63 exhaust housing into a TH downpipe & 2 1/2" hooker exhaust

Action Fab "stretch" intercooler

S&B air filter / homemade cold-air kit flowing into a solid MAF pipe

HR PartsNStuff poly driver's side motor mount

Mike Kurtz built tranny w/ 3200 rpm 9/11" converter

Stock 3.42 w/ 28 spline Moser axles & c-clip eliminators

HR PartsNStuff lower & upper rear control arms (recently installed & WELL worth the investment!)

My car would blow off my drag radials or old M&H racemaster DOTS with even an off idle launch on the street pre-install. NOW it'll launch at 5lbs of boost on some L60 M/T Sportman Pros that had been in my neighbors garage for ~5 years & just di=usting them off, NO REAL BURNOUT TO SPEAK OF! This is the 1st time I've really pushed the car at all since installing them (control arm set) & I am VERY pleased with the results!

I'm sure I missed a few odds & ends here and there, but that is the "core" of my build-up :)

Best ET so far in "safe" tuning mode (28x10x15" slicks, 110 unleaded, street chip, ~10lb launch & just touching 19lbs of boost) has been 11.79@115.5 w/ a 1.64 60' & coming out of the hole pretty cockeyed. With the new contol arms from Paul Ferry I should see consistent low 1.5 60's at the same boost level & leaving staright every time now! :D

Doug C.

Great Freaken Kill man !

Nice! Man, your story sounds like a sceen from "The Fast and The Furious". (It's not that I don't believe you, It's just that I wish it would happen to me).

Later.

:D
Great kill and story! You ever think about writing for a living? I was right there in the car with you!
Do you ever go to HRP on Friday nights for Street Racing? I saw a couple of T-Types there this Friday night. One was bronze/copper colored and the other one was dark blue(?). I don't suppose one of those was yours? I would love to see more T Regals there.

Very nice Doug.... Keeping the neighborhood kids inline as usual..

Glad to hear you're FINALLY driving that thing..

Keep the shiny side up..

Do you ever go to HRP on Friday nights for Street Racing? I saw a couple of T-Types there this Friday night. One was bronze/copper colored and the other one was dark blue(?). I don't suppose one of those was yours? I would love to see more T Regals there.

I go as often as I can, work schedule is more than a bit hectic though :(

Wasn't me, mine is a black '87 T w/ chrome trim & Weld Super Lite's. I'm planning to be there this friday the 21st & Neal Whyte is supposed to run his Stage2 beast (hoping to bust mid 9's)

Have you hooked up with the Houston Buick Club yet? Send me an email for details & an invite to our local email list. :)

Doug C.

Originally posted by dconnor
I'm planning to be there this friday the 21st & Neal Whyte is supposed to run his Stage2 beast (hoping to bust mid 9's)

Doug C.

Doug -

If I get my Christmas shopping done by Friday, I might head out there.
I'll buy you a beer for that kill.:D Fake GN huh? That comment reminds me of what a mustang driver asked me this morning after putting 2-1/2 cars(and steadily pulling) on him from 30mph-80mph this morning. He asked me: "Is that one of those National Turbos?" I just politely said, "Yeah.":rolleyes:

Ross

Yes, I had a guy comment to me, "That's a nice Monte Carlo.", and his dad said, "That's not a Monte Carlo, it's a Grand Am!". :rolleyes:

lol! :cool: never saw a grand am that boxy! :cool: or that big...
or a monte that pointed up front!

Woo!

Sweet kill man. Way to collect some cash too. I'd take that $200 to cover the GF's christmas present, lol. Ignorant ricers.. calling domestics "trash". So typical of those losers. I only respect the ones who respect us [domestics]. And thats pushin it. ;)

Heheh, "Fake Grand National".. would make a nice sticker for the rear window. ;) Maybe even an eyebrow. :p

Good Kill Doug :D

It's always nice to show the darkside to other racers.

I hope to get Nasty's new mods done by the middle of
January and take it back to the track, maybe we can
hook up then.

Again Congratulations on the kill :)

Neal

Originally posted by URSPANKED
"That's not a Monte Carlo, it's a Grand Am!". :rolleyes:

That's the best laugh I've had all day!

But believe it or not I've heard the same comment, it's just been awhile!

Fake TType/GN

You got the "fake" GN line to ehh Doug?? LOL. I was at the drag racing spot one night standing in front of my car witha few buds shooting the breeze when a ricer says, "hey is that a REAL GN?" I say yes it is, why?? He snaps back, "Its too quiet to be a GN, I heard those things were really fast and really loud, and yours is too quiet to be a real GN." (Hooker exhaust:) ) So I say to him, (with a little bit if smart ass in my tone), "why dont we pull out on 135th street so you can see if this is a fake GN or not??" He backs off, "no, thats okay, I have to go." So the whole night my buddy was screwing with me about my car, "nice fake GN man", "its to quiet to be a GN", etc etc.

LOL!!!!!! Gotta love some of the people out there that dont have a clue!