methanol in the tank

BIGAIR

Boost addict
hey guys just some food for thought.
i know this is probably better suited for the meth/alky forum, but i am hoping more people will read it here.
i have two turbo cars, one w/ meth, the other w/o. since meth is mixed w/ gas and air upon injection and deters detonation, can i just run some kind of ratio of meth and gas in my tank on my non-meth injected car?
i know there must be some reason not to, but i need you turbo gurus to tell me why before i try it.

thanks,
lee

I wouldn't... Wouldn't be good for the pump/seals... Some people just mix C16, some people mix E85, some people mix touline and the rest of us just buy another alkycontrol kit... :)

Your A/F would be difficult to adjust using an o2 sensor for one, since the stoichiometric ratio for ethanols are around 6:1 and gas about 12:1 at WOT. Using EGT to tune would be needed. Ethanols have about 1/3rd the energy as gasoline. You would have to run alot of methanol if put in the gas tank, so it would cost alot more than just filling a small tank and spraying it. The only effect you would get would be a raising of the octane, and not the cooling effect of a spray system. Plus it's corrosive and may damage components.
The point of alky/meth injection is to cool the charge. There is energy in the methanol, so you do get some added power from that...not much but some. The point is to finely atomize the liquid and spray it into the intake charge, because the finer the atomization, or smaller the droplets, the more surface area the sum of droplets will provide, to draw heat out of the charge. By just adding methanol to the gas tank, you wont get any of this effect. All that will happen, is it will raise the octane. But if you want to do that, you would be better off adding toluene or xylene to the tank, since this is what gas manufacturers use to adjust octane, for the most part. And it'll take so much, you might as well ditch meth injection and run race gas. By the way, all the numbers for xylene look to be far superior than methanol or alky for this purpose. If my motor werent dead, i'd try it out myself. The octane is significantly higher, the autoignition temperature is much higher, it has more energy, and so on and so on. One of these days, I suspect people will be selling xylene injection systems. Based on what Ive seen, it has to happen someday. Its just too good to not give a shot. More timing, more boost, same volume of liquid.
My brother brought by a spray nozzle from snow performance, another company that makes meth injection for many other cars out there. A really nice system. He has a stage 2 SRT-4 with all sorts of extra goodies. With all the added stuff, its essentially a stage 3. I was super impressed by this nozzle. Its all machined in a CNC turning center and some serious engineering went into it. Its by no means your typical nozzle. Its made up of around 5 different components, has a filter at the inlet, and the shape of the inlet and outlet, and shape of the internals, actually looks like fluids design software was used to design it. The atomization it provides is unreal, even at low pressure, yet doesnt really show the flow restriction I would expect, when I blow into the inlet. Nothing like my SMC nozzle.

thanks for the replies guys.

i thought that it might be caustic to the pump and injectors.

vaders 6, funny thing you mention your brother's car. turns out, my "other turbo car" is an '04 srt-4. it has hahn racecraft stuff all over and a 3" side exit exhaust (kinda loud) and a staged pcm. this is the car i wanted to try adding the meth to. i have heard of snow performance, i guess i will check them out.
i spoke with julio (alkycontrol) about the concept and possibly creating a system for the car, so i hope things go that route.

if any of you are wandering why i did not post this on the srt4 forum....they are not as tolerant about questions. seems a lot of them just flame other people for wanting answers. besides, our buick is still my sons favorite and have had it 8 years, so i trust you all cuz with your advice is how we built it!:smile:

thanks to all,

lee

thanks for the replies guys.

i thought that it might be caustic to the pump and injectors.

vaders 6, funny thing you mention your brother's car. turns out, my "other turbo car" is an '04 srt-4. it has hahn racecraft stuff all over and a 3" side exit exhaust (kinda loud) and a staged pcm. this is the car i wanted to try adding the meth to. i have heard of snow performance, i guess i will check them out.
i spoke with julio (alkycontrol) about the concept and possibly creating a system for the car, so i hope things go that route.

if any of you are wandering why i did not post this on the srt4 forum....they are not as tolerant about questions. seems a lot of them just flame other people for wanting answers. besides, our buick is still my sons favorite and have had it 8 years, so i trust you all cuz with your advice is how we built it!:smile:

thanks to all,

lee
My brother, about a year ago kept asking questions about what car he should get. He thought of throwing a turbo kit on his 05 honda and destroying it, and I made some suggestions and one of them was the SRT-4. It had good handling, power, fuel economy, etc. He got really lucky and found a 2005 srt owned by a dodge mechanic, who basically bought and installed all the stage 2 parts, then upgraded all of it again (the IC looks like it should be on an F-16...massive polished thing and has a bigger turbo)...this guy took really good care of it, had service records, it already had the things I told him he would need to get, like an alky system, a better IC, bigger turbo, big injectors, borla catback...and he bought the car for 3 grand under what stock ones were going for, and it had low mileage to boot. I was shocked when I first test drove it. At 20psi, it felt like a 427 camaro, but was smooth as glass and comfortable. It all started with my brother saying "I just want to run maybe 14's...I just want a little extra power but not too much". Thats when he wanted to turbo the honda. I told him, if you're going to do it, do it right, because at 14's, it starts to give you that itch and you always want more, no matter what your original plans were...and a 1.7 automatic honda doesnt have **** for potential. Within 2 weeks after buying the SRT, he started saying EXACTLY what I said he would say...."This thing is slow!"...I need more power...lol...dont we all.