meth injection

Goat

I heart Boost and DRs...
So me and a follow car guy was talking at work today and hes building a 240sx with a nice sr20 in it. He asked me why and how meth caused detnation since someone has claimed to him it does so he asked why I had it on my car. So I started telling him everything about it and what I know of it and he says so everything the other guy said is a false.

Now here is where it gets tricky cause he asked me the power gain on it when using it. I told him I didnt know for sure what it was, but I had thought it to be 10hp per psi of boost. Then he started on how much tq per psi it would add since normally more tq then hp is made.

so he figures 20 psi with meth is like 200 free horsepower and no telling how much tq, but I told him I would make this thread and ask the higher ups that know more about this stuff then me.

Also the blue washer fluid vs the meth injection stuff you get from snow. Which is better for making power?

Basically methanol is used to "suppress" detonation. Think of it like running 110. If your car is tuned perfectly on the octane your running, you wont pickup anything. Example our Buick GN at 15 PSI boost and pump gas. You spray methanol at 15 PSI.. you wont pickup any power. Actually hurt performance as air fuel will be richer.

Now take the same Buick put it to 24 PSI of boost.. that 9 extra PSI can be as much as 150 extra HP. Depending on tuning, ignition advance, etc. Now put it to 30 PSI... motor just doubled displacement.. and done so on the same poor pump gas that limited it to 15 PSI before. In this particular case you increased over 20% RWHP and 25% RWTQ.

Another example.. you get a motor that is pinging like crazy and losing 100+ rwhp.. spray meth and stop the pinging.. whalla.. an instant 100RWHP from installing a meth kit.

This is why I hate the internet and claims. :eek:

Now methanol and water mixed is not straight methanol. The water creates another set of issues when it comes to tuning.. especially when it gets cold outside. The stuff you want to run is 100% straight methanol to make the most power on our cars. Not boost juice or anything else that cuts down the concentration(washer fluid). Unless you have a car that cannot be tuned and you must play with mixing to try and achieve a balance between blowing out the spark, reducing detonation, and not having it rob power.