Megasquirt System

This is the bit I know of it. The system began as a DIY kit which was sold as parts only kit. It was very basic but it worked on very specific applications. Over the years it has advanced some what but no where near what we have on the market now.

The biggest push into the main stream is by the brand "Spectre", who are better know for engine dress up items. They are selling a ready to install unit alleging to have "Megasquirt" technology inside. I dont know if thats something that will help them sell or not.:rolleyes:

have several friends using it on toyota supra's <turbo cars> plan on using it on my ls2 turbo camaro project , look up diy auto tune on the web lots of info available hope this helps

Thanks for the information guys. I will tell him about the Spectre ECM. Maybe he can get some bling too. :biggrin: He is thinking about putting it on a 1985 Mustang GT 2.3 turbo. He said they make a adapter for it.

i have a mega squirt ecm on my 1991 eagle talon and i love it. It works just like my old fast b2b box does. but you can do other things with it also like boost control and traction control etc. it also will do WBo2 corrections. The neat thing about it is the price my megasquirt ont he talon will do everything the fast b2b box does on my GN but it's cheaper. i paid a grand for my fast b2b box used 3 yrs ago. the megasquirt kit i bought costed me 200 buck and about 3hrs labor to build and install it on the car. no more MAF crap on my talon.

I have a lot of experience with MegaSquirt as well. I have built several of them and am currently running it on my 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo. It's a GREAT system for the do it yourselfer and it also forces you to really understand fuel injection. It has a great interface on the laptop and I even have mine set up with Bluetooth so I can tune wirelessly.

Options on the MegaSquirt v3 board with the MS-II daughter card are virtually endless. MegaSquirt does it all - Fuel management, spark control, timing control, PWM, idle control, etc. You can have multiple tables for different driving conditions and it logs EVERYTHING when you tell it to. I love it because I can tune it exactly how I want when I want and I don't have to wait for or buy a pre-programmed chip. Also there is no need for a MAF either since you can tell MegaSquirt to adjust fuel properties by either TPS sensor only or TPS with MAP sensor. The TPS with MAP control is a must on boosted engines. So is a wideband O2 sensor, such as the Innovate Motorsport LC-1. On my Fiat, I'm running with MegaSquirt v3 + MS-II daughter board, Ford EDIS (Electronic Distributorless Ignition System) with VR sensor at the crank (36-1 toothed crank wheel), and the Innovate Motorsport Wideband O2 system. This with the Garrett T3 turbo on it is a real hoot!

Personally, I love the idea of putting the MegaSquirt on the Turbo Buicks. But, again, I like them stock and I hate making wiring harnesses. Ugh!

Later,

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

I have a lot of experience with MegaSquirt as well. I have built several of them and am currently running it on my 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo. It's a GREAT system for the do it yourselfer and it also forces you to really understand fuel injection. It has a great interface on the laptop and I even have mine set up with Bluetooth so I can tune wirelessly.

Options on the MegaSquirt v3 board with the MS-II daughter card are virtually endless. MegaSquirt does it all - Fuel management, spark control, timing control, PWM, idle control, etc. You can have multiple tables for different driving conditions and it logs EVERYTHING when you tell it to. I love it because I can tune it exactly how I want when I want and I don't have to wait for or buy a pre-programmed chip. Also there is no need for a MAF either since you can tell MegaSquirt to adjust fuel properties by either TPS sensor only or TPS with MAP sensor. The TPS with MAP control is a must on boosted engines. So is a wideband O2 sensor, such as the Innovate Motorsport LC-1. On my Fiat, I'm running with MegaSquirt v3 + MS-II daughter board, Ford EDIS (Electronic Distributorless Ignition System) with VR sensor at the crank (36-1 toothed crank wheel), and the Innovate Motorsport Wideband O2 system. This with the Garrett T3 turbo on it is a real hoot!

Personally, I love the idea of putting the MegaSquirt on the Turbo Buicks. But, again, I like them stock and I hate making wiring harnesses. Ugh!

Later,

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

i have the ms1 version 3 board. I love the way it all works. the coll things it datalogs everything and when reviewing the logs you can pick and choose what you want to look at and it does it at 25 frams a sec and it will datalog as long as you have hard drive space on the laptop.

MY buddy @ turbotune in greensboro has installed a version 2.2 ms1 on his 87 limited.

if i didn't have the buick really tuned in i would buy another ms ecm and try it on the buick.

It will work with a maf but uses a 0-5v like ford. Several Z Cars run it too.

It will work with a maf but uses a 0-5v like ford. Several Z Cars run it too.

why would any one want to use a maf when you can tune it with amap sensor and get rid of the restriction in the air intake.

why would any one want to use a maf when you can tune it with amap sensor and get rid of the restriction in the air intake.

I guess the same reason every Buick guy hasn't gone to aftermarket efi or Translator Pro and eleminated the maf,personal preference. I was just stating the fact that(if you use a maf)it needs the voltage output like ford.;)

Megasquirt information

Send me an email and I will send you the wiring file (notepad txt) and the megasquirt msq (tuning and configuration file) for my Buick Limited.

I made a jumper harness from the Megasquirt DB37 connector to a computer header I took out of a junk GM computer from the junk yard. Complete plug and play, didn't have to change a single wire under the hood. Only added a hose from the intake to the Map sensor mounted in the Megasqirt. You can remote mount the map if you so desire and 3 or 4 bar sensors work with it.

I haven't had time to build a Version 3 board so that it would be able to do the GM stepper idle control. Running this one without the idle control is not a problem but I think it would be nicer with it.

The Ford maf wouldn't be a big deal to set up. Several years back we put a complete Fox body fuel injection system on a 350" MonteCarlo SS. Few people realized that it had a Ford maf on it. Most noticed the big distributor cap before the maf.

Mark

Probably since accurately measure the exact amount on air entering the motor is the most accurate way to determine proper fueling requirements. The OEMs are very good at this and spend millions of $$ developing programing specific for an engine design that is going to be WAY more specific than we will ever get (or need to) with an aftermarket speed density system.

I personally dont know much about the megasquirt system but I do know the amount of knowledgeable info on their forums is impressive. I dont think the system is for everyone but is ideal for the tinker and person who likes to know how it works and wants to make it better. Most of the aftermarket systems out there are pretty basic and have relatively basic programming that is common to most of them.

Probably since accurately measure the exact amount on air entering the motor is the most accurate way to determine proper fueling requirements.

I agree. :) A MAF system is the best way to control fueling and is less sensitive to changes in engine combos because it is measuring the amount of air entering the motor, not the manifold pressure which can change for a variety of reasons.

Earlier this year I converted a non-turbo Buick 231 from a problem-ridden Holley 390cfm 4brl carb and distributor to a 500cfm TBI and Ford EDIS ignition, controlled with a MegaSquirt II. Full conversion, including TBI with adapter plate, new fuel pump/lines/filter/fittings, relay breakout board, wire harnesses, sensors, full EDIS system, etc.. for around $1400. Spent a couple of months gathering and building everything, then a couple of weekends installing everything. Fired it up and everything worked-- Tune was WAY off, but it worked! :)
The laptop logging and programability is awesome. There is HUGE learning curve tho. But then, I started from ground zero with assembling the Megasquirt circuit board. Every step was a "learning" experience. :)

DIYAutoTune has just released a kit with the 56-pin GM connector, enabling you to build a plug-and-play Megasquirt that can be installed in a Turbo Regal without cutting the factory wiring harness:

DIYPNP Delphi 56pin Unassembled Kit DIYAutoTune.com

They are looking for somebody with a mostly stock Regal they can borrow to build and tune a base map, if anybody in the Atlanta area can get with them.

As a disclaimer, I am not associated with DIYAutoTune in any way, other than being a customer (I ran a Megasquirt on a TPI Chevy 350 for a couple of years and bought all my stuff from them) and had been nagging them to offer the 56-pin connector and a case to fit it for awhile.

The one thing about MS that I like is the ability to write your own software if you so desire. It is open source.

Wish FAST would come out with some more updates... Im getting bored :D

Tom