MegaSquirt & 4.1 motor

silvertrip

I am currently in the process of rebuilding a Buick 4.1 engine and I want to have fuel injection on it. I have a intake from a 87 GN.

My question is has anyone used the MegaSquirt ECM and if you have, what do you think about it? Is it worth the time and effort?

Here is the website
http://www.megasquirt.info/

It looks pretty good for about $200.

I've made a post or two about it, and nobody seems to have really tried it on a TR. I'm still considering fabbing up an adapter so that I can plug it directly into my stock harness just to see if I like it. If you give it a try, please post your results so that we can see them.

PLease don't waste your money, go with a max effort race setup good for 9.40's or get a fast bank to bank setup. I know its tempting but theres no easy way out.

Norbs do you have any first person experience with the megasquirt system, or a reason that it would be wasting money?

NO, i don't but from the way it looks to me its very primitive. Just my opinion thats all.

I AM PLANNING TO USE MEGASQUIRT. AFRIEND OF MINE USES IT ON HIS RACE CAR AND LOVES IT. ULTRA MEGASQUIRT IS COMMING OUT SOON IT WILL ME ALLOT LESS PRIMATIVE AND WILL BE ABLE TO A WHOLE CRAP LOAD MORE... PLUS YOU CAN RUN A 7TH INJECTOR SETUP PRETTY TRICK IF YOU ASK ME..

Originally posted by silvertrip
I am currently in the process of rebuilding a Buick 4.1 engine and I want to have fuel injection on it. I have a intake from a 87 GN.

My question is has anyone used the MegaSquirt ECM and if you have, what do you think about it? Is it worth the time and effort?

Here is the website
http://www.megasquirt.info/

It looks pretty good for about $200.

You can get a stock ECM in nearly any junkyard for $10-20. The sensors required are the same..you'll need a MAF for the stock ECM. It also has an excellent factory DIS coil pack system and ignition timing control. The stock ECM is thoroughly hacked, reliable, chips are available for numerous injector sizes and the MAF allows it to run well with various cam/displacement/head changes. You'd be miles ahead to just junkyard a harness and sensors from a FWD car and adapt them to your project; you could do so very cheaply.

I think the Megasquirt is a neat idea and it'd be fun to try it on a motor combination that didn't have a readily available factory ECM. You'd have to run a distributor with it or look into one of the add-ons like the MegaJolt Lite that people are making for ignition. I just think you would have a lot of extra effort for less result if using it on a Buick V6.