Mechanical oil pressure guage newb question

microELVIS

Doing a some searches here, I dont quite see exactly what I was looking for. I have an oil idiot light issue, where do you guys install a mechanical oil pressure guage ? Is it right on the sending unit somewhere ?

I found an archive for electric, but Im thinking a mechanical one has a different location. :confused:

The mechanical fittings are usually 1/8" NPT to compression tube 1/8" that come inside the package with mechanical gauges.

You could use a 1/8" to 1/4" or 3/8" (I forget the size) NPT adapter, and put it down in place of the stock oil pressure switch on the car or use a T and plumb it in down there and run both.

I just use a T up at the top of the turbos on my car and use copper 1/8" tube and put it up there at the feed line.

Easier to work with.

Only a slight difference in pressure, lower, from the lower fitting point at the brass block in the front of the motor.

It is a higher reading with a ball bearing turbo in use since there is a restriction in line inside that type turbo.

Once you baseline the results no matter where you put it, you simply look for changes from your normal running pressures. :cool:

Thats a pretty good idea to put it at the turbo.

All I really wanted actually was to get a reading at hot and cold idle. I started up the car after it was sitting for a while at xmas time and the light came on right away, or in just a few seconds. I didnt notice until a couple minutes went by so I then shut it off.

I had an oil change with synthetic, I forget the filter type off hand. Im thinking the cold weather and cold oil has something to do with it, but just want to be sure I have pressure before I run it and let it warm up.

If anyone remembers the adapter size of the check switch, please chime in.

Found my old leaking original switch in a box.

It has 1/4" male pipe threads on it.

You would need a 1/8" female to 1/4" male bushing assuming your plastic line adapter is 1/8" male pipe threads like most are.

You may need the special GM oil switch remover socket or else do a search on how people remove that switch thing with vise grips, channel locks, or 12 point large sockets.