Mazda RX8

GNSCOTT

open faced club sandwich
Anyone else see this car?? I didn't know about it until yesterday. I just went on Mazdas web site and loaded it came out to $31k (minus $2k nav. system). 250hp 1.3L rotary in a light car. I saw where zero to 60 was 5.9 seconds, but it gave no 1/4 mile times. It looks like a 2 door, but the back has small suiside doors. Looks like I have another car to think about.

i have know about the car for a year now
it has 8 hp less that the twin turbo one before i cant wait to see what will happend when it get turbos get on it

I watched some show on TV the other day and they had the RX8 on there. Cool looking car, they said they liked it except for the lack of torque, but man that thing has a 9,000 rpm redline! neat car.

Anyone have more info on this car 6 months later ? Sweet looking sports car.

Dave

Ill answer my own question :)

MAZDA RX-8

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2+2-passenger, 2+2-door coupe
Estimated base price: $27,000-$28,000
Engine type: two-rotor Wankel, aluminum rotor housings with iron liners and end plates, Mazda engine-control system with port fuel injection
Displacement 80 cu in, 1308cc
Power (SAE net) 207-247 bhp
Torque (SAE net) 159-164 lb-ft
Transmissions 6-speed manual, 5-speed auto
Wheelbase 106.3 in
Length 174.6 in
Width 69.7 in
Height 52.8 in
Curb weight 3000-3050 lb
C/D-estimated performance (247-hp 6-speed):
Zero to 60 mph 6.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph 16.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 14.9 sec @ 95 mph
Top speed (drag limited) 150 mph
Estimated fuel economy:
EPA city driving 19-20 mpg
EPA highway driving 28-30 mpg

I saw one of these tooling around a few months back. It had a manufacturers plate on it so I guess some bigwig from Mazda was out for a spin in the car. I didn't care too much for the car. It's bigger than the old RX7 and is kind of bloated looking. The styling just didn't work for me at all.

There's a new RX7 on the menu too. Read it in some magazine, not sure which. They did mention a turbo version too. The thing about the RX8 is that back seat which looks pretty useable, with the pillarless rear door setup. I would want to see a turbo version and some torque, but it's certainly a cool car.

The RX8 is supposed to handle awesome with great safety features and attention to keeping the weight as low as possible.

However what everyone says is this car needs more torque and is not all that fast. A few have dynoed them and they are falling short of the HP promised.

However either Mazda itself (Mazda Competition) and other Mazda supporting vendors are going to be releasing turbo kit for it. 9000rpm redline is sweet.... but lack of torque isn't.

I have a stock 13B powered '87 RX-7 that is a no optioned car and comes in at just over 2600lbs. Only 146hp/130 ft/lbs tq but with the weight calculation it should be about as fast as the RX-8. You would think in 16 more years of R&D Mazda could better the 13B.

I answered the torque problem in my other GN powered RX-7 (GNX7).

-GNX7

Mazda restates RX8 hp
Since Mazda is owned by Ford, it seems the "gernerous" horsepower ratings are contagious. (Remember the last Cobra)

By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / August 25, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- Just weeks after the introduction of the RX8 sports car, Mazda North American Operations has revised its horsepower numbers for the car.

The manual transmission version generates 238 hp, instead of the previously announced 247 hp. The automatic transmission version creates 197 hp, rather than 207.

Mazda is offering RX8 buyers a $500 debit card and free maintenance for the length of the car's warranty. But if a customer is truly dissatisfied, Mazda will discuss repurchase options.

I test drove one.... SWEET Ride.. Kinda bizarre with the back 2 suicide doors similar to my GMC truck. But a nice all around ride.

I too would like to and waiting to see the turbo version...

The basic shape of it seems to resemble the Chevy SS concept car a little, only smaller. I like the rear suicide doors, it's one of those things that makes ya think "why hadn't someone done that sooner?". Kinda copied Saturn but I think they look cool.

Steve

A friend of mines bought one and he also is a car salesmen at a local Mazda dealership. He told me that the TT RX-7 is comming out maybe by the end of the year or early next year.

Another thing he told me that he got to fill up one quart of oil every other month? Are rotorys suppose to burn oil like that?

And for that $27-28K price tag I would go with a G35 http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,cid-30568_sctid-12001,00.html