Maybe this guy can take his new Cobra back to the dealer for a refund?

I have a '88 Mustang and a '87 GN. Both have mods. And when both are running street gas, the Mustang is faster. But I have a SMC alcohol kit waiting to be installed in the GN. ;)

Originally posted by lyonsd
I have a '88 Mustang and a '87 GN. Both have mods. And when both are running street gas, the Mustang is faster. But I have a SMC alcohol kit waiting to be installed in the GN. ;)

Since when is race gas a modd?? U can put race gas in any car, its just helps some cars more then others ;) I think if thats any1's arguement against the buick(i have z28 and mustang drivers as friends that say that garbage all the time) that is still pretty weak:eek: Sounds like another excuse for the weak v-8's:D

Mustang guys will never figure it out, they can't win :p
Oh ya, ull love the smc alky, its just like race gas, but without the 5.00 per gallon price. :cool:

Shoebox

Originally posted by blackshoebox
Mustang guys will never figure it out, they can't win

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. Do you realize that there are street driven Mustangs out there running as quick as low 8s in the 1/4 mile?

I think those Mustang guys have figured out that they CAN win.

Get real pal

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. Do you realize that there are street driven Mustangs out there running as quick as low 8s in the 1/4 mile?

I think those Mustang guys have figured out that they CAN win.

I know of many race cars, that can been driven to a spot for a street race and then loaded back up on the trailer, if thats what your defenition of a street car is, then ya mustakes can win, but if your talking about a daily driven 8 second mustang, that has full interior and sees daily usage, then we can debate, otherwise your point about 8 second mustangs is pointless, unless u wanna debate about race cars, and not daily driven street cars.

I would say 10 sec mustangs/buicks that are daily driven is about as fair as the realistic realm goes. This bs, about 8 second street cars is, "I can drive it to spot, race, and load it back up on the trailor." Is just a little out of hand, just like "its streetable" garbage. I have a friend with a "mildly" built mustang(heads/cam, supercharger car) and the car is the farthest thing from a street car, handles like a dump truck(can u say, three point u-turns) and u couldn't here a radio in the car unless u had one serious system. I can't imagine what a 8 second mustang on the street would be like daily driven:rolleyes: Bottom line is, your refering to trailor queens that see the street for a high dollar street race and then go back on the trailor. Were as many 11 and 10 sec buicks enjoy all the normal street behavior of a stock car, and still have the timeslips to brag about it. ;)

Mustangs can't do that :D If you got some proof of a daily driven 8 second mustang, ill be more then happy to eat my words.

Shoebox

Re: Get real pal

If you got some proof of a daily driven 8 second mustang, ill be more then happy to eat my words.

Would you consider an article in a magazine about one as proof?

Here's proof of a 9-second one (not a magazine article, but a link to the car itself):
http://www.turboconnection.com/showcase/jr90gt/

I know that the faster you get the less streetable it is. Heck, my Mustang is loud and rough riding. It's only got intake, exhaust, cam and mildly ported stock heads.

But Regals aren't the only cars in the world that can be turbocharged. Take, for example, a stock 5.0. Bolt on an intercooled single turbo kit onto a stock 5.0 and upgrade the fuel system and you've got a car capable of running 11s on sticky tires: http://www.turboconnection.com/showcase/therapy And it rides like it was bone stock (which it basically is, except for the turbo kit).

I've also see a turbo Regal that was driven to the track from Florida (to Silver Dollar raceway in Reynolds GA) click off timeslips in the 9s.

You might be surprised to see how streetable a 9- or even 8- second vehicle can be. They may not be common, but the do exist.

lyonsd

I've heard of some 8 second street driven TRs, so what's your point:confused: There was one twin turbo Stage II GN that dynoed 1200RWHP with only 24lbs of boost and (there was a vid of the dyno in the lounge) this car had A/C, radio, and all the other creature comforts and they said he was going to take this car on the power tour... With 1200RWHP this full weight GN is probably a low 8 to high 7 second car and it's not just driven to the street races and put back on the trailer:D And there are plenty of other 9 and 8 second street driven TRs I can speak of... Cal Hartline, Jack Cotton, Joe L., and Dave F. are just a couple of guys I can name that have streetable, street driven TRs, so IMHO the mustang isn't any better when your talking about being fast and street driven!!!:cool:

Ok everybody:

The bottom line is that GN's & Stangs are comparable. Whether GN owners like it or not, there will always be a comparable 'Tang and vice-versa. Anyone who know anything about cars knows that Tangs and GN's are both into the 7's & 8's in street legal trim. So EVERYONE, including stang guys get over it.

I love reading a die hard GN fan saying what a piece of crap a stang is. I mean come on, GN 's are not Mercedes! There is NOTHING that a GN does better than a Tang. And I realize that this is a two way street. Oh and don't pull that dollar for dollar crap either cause someone is always building something faster, cheaper.

I will agree with one thing: Turbos rule!

Re: Re: Get real pal

You might be surprised to see how streetable a 9- or even 8- second vehicle can be. They may not be common, but the do exist.

Looked at the page, and thats a pretty impressive car. As for it being daily driven that is to up for debate. Relibility wise, i would put my money on a turbo buick rather then a turbo v-8, that car is probably a nightmare to tune since it was not a turbo car from the factory, still impressive though.:D As for the 8 second mustang thing, i think we can agree it exist, but in a state that is more like a trailor car that sees the street once in a while and not a daily driver just because race parts wear worse under the grind of street use.

Shoebox

I dont understand, some of you are comparing your 11 second GN to a brand new cobra... New GT's run 13.8 and up...stock, untouched. What did all of you GN's run stock, i mean stock, no filter, no upping the boost, no nothing, all stock. Maybe the mustang doesnt run 12s stock because of the awesome aftermarket for the car. If you dont mind me asking, what the fastest drag radial GN? and fastest stock suspension(style) GN?

Originally posted by stroked347
I dont understand, some of you are comparing your 11 second GN to a brand new cobra... New GT's run 13.8 and up...stock, untouched. What did all of you GN's run stock, i mean stock, no filter, no upping the boost, no nothing, all stock. Maybe the mustang doesnt run 12s stock because of the awesome aftermarket for the car. If you dont mind me asking, what the fastest drag radial GN? and fastest stock suspension(style) GN?

Show me were someone in this thread was comparing a stock mustang to 11 second gn:confused: Buicks stock in 1987, ran what a new gt's(2000-2001) are suppose to run, which is low 14's to high 13's. THe 1987 mustang didn't come near high 13's if im not mistaken.

Anyway, who wants to compare mustangs to buicks, there is no comparison :D

1. v6 with more power then a v8, and better gas milliage.
2. bolt-on performance, buicks win hands down
3. back seat, Mustangs should be two seaters if u ask me.
4. Vintage limit edition car vs. everybody and there mother has a mustang
5. etc...

Anyone dare to compare now:rolleyes: I could think of more stuff, and im looking at it from both points of view, and can't see anything a mustang would have over a buick, although the above list is clear and undisputed by the well informed.:p

sheobox

Reggie

I agree:) Both the TRs and 5.0 Stangs are very comparable and turbos do rule!!! However, I do think there are a couple things a GN does better than a Stang like get better gas mileage and the fact that u can actually put some people in the back seat, but to each his own:D ;)

OMG...I left this board 3 years ago to this same damn argument over and over again. The thing that I think is funny is the fact that GN owners are CONSTANTLY talking **** about mustangs, but we could care less about your cars. Don't get me wrong, I like TR's, but let the ignorance stop. Why do TR guys feel so threatened by mustangs that they have to rip on them all the time? Hell, I could have bought a TR instead of my cobra, but the cobra is a much much much nicer all around car.

I was at the track a few months ago and this GN owner invited all of us mustang drivers to hang out in his motorhome and even fed us because he was so sick of TR owner's superiority complex (this guy was running high 9s on the stock block).

I have to agree with another point that shoebox made about everybody and their mother driving a Mustang and the TRs aren't something you'll see everyday unless u own one:D Bolt on performance I think we all know that TRs are better unless your spraying a real big shot which could make u go KABOOM, but when your talking about running better than 11's the 5.0 Stang and TRs are comparable IMHO:cool: Let the never ending arguement continue;)

(begin singing) AHA HA HA HA!!!! GN's ARE COMPARABLE TO STANGS!!!!!!! (end singing) Ahh...the similarities!!! Come on Shoebox, sing it with me!

BTW Brick, I think the new tangs get similar gas mileage.

Crapstangs rule!

Whadya mean gn's are beter bolt on cars? I could "bolt on" a turbo and be king of the streets!

True, more people own stangs, but who would want to drive a Grandma National? I'll tell ya who, my Grandma!

I agree, lets end the argument and all go buy supras (talk about no backseat)! Never mind, after seeing one at the carwash with 15 or so jr highschoolers hounding the owner like he was Britney, I'll just stick to the babe magnet (stang).
:D
Originally posted by 86brick
I have to agree with another point that shoebox made about everybody and their mother driving a Mustang and the TRs aren't something you'll see everyday unless u own one:D Bolt on performance I think we all know that TRs are better unless your spraying a real big shot which could make u go KABOOM, but when your talking about running better than 11's the 5.0 Stang and TRs are comparable IMHO:cool: Let the never ending arguement continue;)

i dont think tr owners have a superiority complex but rather we feel like underdogs. leave the superiority complex to the supra and vette owners. everytime there is a mustange\tr shootout we are always outnumbered 10 to 1 and we always hold our own, i'd even bet if gm made 200,000 gn every year for 15 years like mustange this rivalry you sense wouldnt be. as far as the term streetcar goes it should be redefined. ls1 cars, tr's and stanges are going faster then ever and still have awsome street manners due to todays aftermarket computer programming, like dfi. a streetable 8-9 sec car was very unlikely just 10 years ago. all you young bucks on this board need to sit back and respect all cars and what they bring to the table. you never know what the guy in the other lane is packing as i've been smoked by quiet mustanges that you'd have thought ran 13's but run 10's.

Originally posted by matt87
i dont think tr owners have a superiority complex but rather we feel like underdogs. leave the superiority complex to the supra and vette owners. everytime there is a mustange\tr shootout we are always outnumbered 10 to 1 and we always hold our own, i'd even bet if gm made 200,000 gn every year for 15 years like mustange this rivalry you sense wouldnt be. as far as the term streetcar goes it should be redefined. ls1 cars, tr's and stanges are going faster then ever and still have awsome street manners due to todays aftermarket computer programming, like dfi. a streetable 8-9 sec car was very unlikely just 10 years ago. all you young bucks on this board need to sit back and respect all cars and what they bring to the table. you never know what the guy in the other lane is packing as i've been smoked by quiet mustanges that you'd have thought ran 13's but run 10's.

AMEN TO THAT! :D

Fun conversation..

"I could "bolt on" a turbo and be king of the streets!"

And you have bolt-on fuel system to support it, and intercooler, radiator, and if u plan on running any kind of boost , internal modds would be a must, so that would make it no longer a bolt-on.Not to mention the transmission would have to be beefed up, along with exhaust modds to support the turbo. Turbo's being bolted on to a n/a car is not a simple plug and play thing like nitrous is. I help a friend with supercharge install on a mustang, and Ive heard turbo installs are worse and tuning is a bitch. I swear if tuning a turbo mustang was harder then tuning his supercharged one, i would leave the car stock, to say the least he spent a lot of cash doing dyno tunes on that car

"Why do TR guys feel so threatened by mustangs that they have to rip on them all the time?"

Threatened:confused: LMFAO, i have lost to handful of mustangs in street races and the track, and three of the cars were my friends cars that i had a hand in building or thought out the build up to go fast. As for the rest, my guess is somewhere in the hundreds, thats right hundreds off rustangs ive raced, ive beat up on pretty good, and that was with a bolt-on buick.;)

"Hell, I could have bought a TR instead of my cobra, but the cobra is a much much much nicer all around car."

For each his own, but did you really enjoy handing out 30,000 + for a car that runs high 13's if your lucky. Ouch, i know that one hurt. ;)

Overall i did hate mustangs, but after a few years of racing and messing with my friends, i could see owning a older fox body with a turbo for weekend beater. All cars have pro's and con's but i think the buick will always shine a little brighter then a crapstang.

Keepin it clean,
Shoebox

Re: Fun conversation..

Hey they are all bolt ons aren't they? I honestly could bolt on a turbo kit, as I have everything already minus the intercooler, which comes with the turbo kit anyways. I would like to see how much more my 201,000 mile shortblock can take with about 15 psi of T-76 or so!

Here, let me end this thread:

GN's rule, Crapstangs suck! ;)

"I could "bolt on" a turbo and be king of the streets!"

And you have bolt-on fuel system to support it, and intercooler, radiador, and if u plan on running any kind of boost , internal modds would be a must.

"Why do TR guys feel so threatened by mustangs that they have to rip on them all the time?"

Threatened:confused: LMFAO, i have lost to handful of mustangs in street races and the track, and three of the cars were my friends cars that i had a hand in building or thought out the build up to go fast. As for the rest, my guess is somewhere in the hundreds, thats right hundreds off rustangs ive raced, ive beat up on pretty good, and that was with a bolt-on buick.;)

"Hell, I could have bought a TR instead of my cobra, but the cobra is a much much much nicer all around car."

For each his own, but did you really enjoy handing out 30,000 + for a car that runs high 13's if your lucky. Ouch, i know that one hurt. ;)

Overall i did hate mustangs, but after a few years of racing and messing with my friends, i could see owning a older fox body with a turbo for weekend beater. All cars have pro's and con's but i think the buick will always shine a little brighter then a crapstang.

Keepin it clean,
Shoebox

"GN's rule, Crapstangs suck!"

Not really but, its all a matter of preference. Guess im a buick faithful and some guys on here are mustang faithfuls. WE all have a common goal, to go fast. So if your doing that, your doing something right, with whatever your driving.:D

Shoebox