Maximum RPM limits.........?

My dad runs FAST, I tuned his car. My Buick runs a Big Stuff 3. I am also an HKS VPro Pro tuner, Apexi Power FC Pro tuner and the one I prefer to use, install and tune is the AEM EMS. I was going to have them make an AEM EMS for the Buick and took the easy route and just installed something that was already popular.

The Big Stuff is pretty easy to use, not much to it. Very easy and straight forward.

What does my EVO weigh. I'd answer but as I know how the typical "Buick, Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler" guy is when I answer the response is going to be "Well try to go that fast when your car weighs 4,000 pounds." So I will save myself the arguement and just say that the car has 122 cubic inches and rather than just driving a driveshaft and rear end they drive a trans, transfer case, 4 wheels/tires, 4 rotors, 2 differentials and 4 axles. Little more loss the in the drivetrain.

Ah hell, I'll tell you. The car that ran 8.95 at 164 mph weighs 2750 lbs with driver. My daily driver with me in it weighs 3150 lbs.

Both use factory 5 speed transmissions, we lift to shift. The only upgrade to the drivetrain is a set of rear axles and that is only the 8 second car. Engine blocks are bone stock and not hardblocked, stock cranks, stock ported cylinder heads.

David Buschur

Get em!

These Buick boys are going to learn there are others out there that run fast & faster and with less displacement. I like my buick, but my first devotion is to my first car the AWD GSX and right now as it stands, the GSX is five times more durable.

What does my EVO weigh. I'd answer but as I know how the typical "Buick, Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler" guy is when I answer the response is going to be "Well try to go that fast when your car weighs 4,000 pounds." So I will save myself the arguement and just say that the car has 122 cubic inches and rather than just driving a driveshaft and rear end they drive a trans, transfer case, 4 wheels/tires, 4 rotors, 2 differentials and 4 axles. Little more loss the in the drivetrain.

Ah hell, I'll tell you. The car that ran 8.95 at 164 mph weighs 2750 lbs with driver. My daily driver with me in it weighs 3150 lbs.

Both use factory 5 speed transmissions, we lift to shift. The only upgrade to the drivetrain is a set of rear axles and that is only the 8 second car. Engine blocks are bone stock and not hardblocked, stock cranks, stock ported cylinder heads.

David Buschur

I just love cars. I have had all kinds of stuff. There are so many good cars/engines out there trying to argue that one is superior to another is a crazy thing to do. I find it very funny when you get into certain clique of car guys some of them believe there is ONLY ONE car that is worth having. For example a Mustang guy, Camaro guy, Mitsubishi guy etc. I am lucky enough to own and have owned many great cars and don't feel that way........well atleast not completely.

I will say the 4g63 Mitsubishi 4 cylinder engine has got to be one of the best engines every designed. Not the best, not the only engine worth working on but ONE OF THE BEST. I ran 7.80's in one in a RWD platform with a Powerglide 5 years ago, this was with a stock computer and piggy back fuel controller to convert it to speed density. Brent Rau has gone 6.80's at just over 200 mph now in his car RWD Eclipse. John is running 7.70's at 195 mph on the engine I built him in his AWD. The engine is rediculously strong.

The LS1 is another great engine. I had one in a 2000 Firebird I spent a few years messing with.

The Buick is a great car, the engine is good. Great......I won't go that far. Has a lot of problems when you get right down to it the amount of money it takes to build a really good 109 block is quite high. Still fairly RPM limited when it's done and from what I am gathering you are still waiting to see what it going to happen next. The Stage 2 is another story, that engine is amazing, 3 years of running it in Ron's car we never touched it. I ran it to 8500 rpm, no problem. Cast iron heads, barely touched as far as porting went. I ran 7.50's in that car. Kenny Duttweiler is a genius.

I believe many of the problems seen stem from improper tuning, hopefully I am right.

Hi Dave i would say you dont need rpm if you run iron heads . I think we where one of the only ppl running champion irons and i too like the weight break . We ran 6.0s@115 in the 1/8 with iron on a stock cubed motor tsm legal i would say thats a high 9.40 low 9.50 pass and theres room to improve . The trick is a good convertor and chassis and you might have to run a lil higher boost then alumiunum heads and we only turn our tsm motor 6800 or so to go 9.30 with a stock 3.42 gear the iron headed combo had a small solid roller and like about 6400 rpm max hope this helps you have an idea about atleast one combo . Laz

Thanks Laz, what transmission are you running and are you running a lock up? Good times you're running. That's what I was hoping to see too. I'm stuck waiting right now on a flange to be laser cut so I can build the downpipe for the car. I can't freaking weight to start this and continue with it......

Hey Dave no lock up i run a th 400 its hard to find the right convertor at one point it was slipping 28 percent it was fine up top but it wouldnt 60ft got it better and our 60 and 330s got alot better .

What's your tire height and best MPH Laz? You ARE still running 3.42's?

I was going to change to a TH400 but didn't know if the engine was going to stand up to the RPM required to run one. I was basically talked out of it and that is the largest reason I started this topic.

Dave we run a 28x10.5 mt et drag been as fast as 156 at 6900 in the lights . The Tsm combo with a looser convertor we been 147 and change same gear and like 6900 and shifting at 6800 or so .