Maximizing Gas Mileage!

Orion231

Ok, how do I lean the car out while cruising to maximize fuel conservation? Do you just drop the static fuel pressure? Or does that have no bearing on gas consumption? I am currently running 37 PSI static with MSD 50s, Dual Alky Kit with Rubbing Alcohol 70%, no knock, 21 PSI, O2s 800-810, getting around 270 Miles out of a tank on Interstate driving only. ALSO, I am running a Joe Lubrant 100 octane 23* timing Race chip. Will you get better gas mileage with a street or race chip? Or does it matter? thanks guys! :cool:

I've asked the gas mileage questions before and I had some replies in the low to mid 20's. With an 18 gal tank thats close to 400 miles average.:eek:

I have gotten mine up to just near 20, but never higher.

I have been using Jim Testa's lean cruise 19* chip. I have been geting aroud 23 mpg to work and back. 26 mile round trip about all highway. Not to bad. I have not been on a long trip to see what it will get.

Lowering the FP will not change the mileage in most cases. It is in the fuel tabels in the chip.

Originally posted by Orion231
[getting around 270 Miles out of a tank on Interstate driving only.

Does that highway mileage consist of traveling between Huntsville and Conroe each day? I believe you've been spotted by a friend of mine in Huntsville, on his way to work in Conroe each day.

BTW, I don't think you can expect much over 20mpg per the items in your sig.

Originally posted by Orion231
Ok, how do I lean the car out while cruising to maximize fuel conservation?

You have to make changes in the chip. The ecm has a commanded AFR that it tries to maintain, so the ecm will try to run at that AFR reguardless of what you do.

Thanks guys!

Yes that is me. I used to work at Hoem Depot there but I am joining the Army and ship out soon so I quit that job to get one locally so I can work staright hours and not have to drive the ole GN too much. I have been over to EJs a couple of times he has a great collection and a really super guy! I have made three trips to Dallas, and the last one I got about 270 out of a tank, and I used a little less than 15 gallons. Oh well. My tranny seems to be messing up now, when I get on the throttle the boost shoots up fast but the car has a pause before the power is transfered to the rear...car is shifting funny, *sigh* too many problems, not enough money or ideas to fix what. We looked at the TV cable, it was pulled all the way out, so I set it halfway and set TPS, and the car shifts lower RPm now, but nasty shifts and they are delayed but firm. Dunno what is wrong. I just have to drive it to Odessa in a few weeks and put it in strorage at dads house till I get back in March with cash. Anybody around here a tranny diagnoser? :confused:

Shoot me a private message or email, and I will discuss further with you about the tranny, and other local Huntsville stuff. I'm sure my friend there would like to see your car. He has an 86 GN, which is currently at EJ's too, having a brake transplant.