Maui Vacation 12/2-12/6

Mikalanjavin

socal new guy
hey everyone I am a so. cal native going to Hawaii for the first time! I found a deal on Travel Zoo for a roundtrip from LA plus 4 nights in Maui for $422.00!

So, I'll be doing the tourist thing during the daytime, but where should I be at night??? I am a 26yr old single guy and I will be traveling with a college buddy.

Also, anything TB related going on that weekend??

Thanks,
Mike

That's a good price!!! As far as Maui, I'm not too sure. When we go there, we're at the track and usually stay there and partake in some beverages. Of course I'm almost double your age though :biggrin:

Save up some funds, you're gonna find out that getting travel and lodging in Maui is the cheap part:frown:. Meals will cost quite a bit. Well drinks in even average bars are $8. at a resort they are $10. and up. Wanna do some snorkeling, say a 1/2 day trip to anywhere? $135. + $10 suit rental. Just gonna rent gear and snorkel off the hotel beach? $25/hr

Don't get me wrong, we love Maui, we go every year but travel/lodging is 1/3 of our budget each time:eek: Another tip I would reccomend, Pay cash for everything. Your hotel is going to try and get you to put every service/drink/meal 'on the room' Don't fall for that, there will be a ton of extra charges, drinks you don't remember and gratuities added on. The fewer 'incindental charges' the better at checkout time.

26 and single? No shortage of opportunities for you there. Lots of cougarlishious vacationers looking for a fling:cool: They have their own $$ as well, If you hang out with the ladies in thier 20's, you'll be buying for two:wink:

Where area of Maui are you staying?

Alan

Alan - Kaanapali Ocean Inn, on the west side. Now, right now we do not have a rental car. Do you think it would be a good idea to get one? I figured we'd rent a moped or take public transportation. What is your suggestion?

We have to find a ride from the airport to the hotel, I believe they have a free shuttle...

Thanks for the heads up on the cougars, sounds like a plan! Maybe I will find a sugar momma!

If anyone from TB wants to come out and show me a good time, feel free!

-Mike

Hmmmm.. I may just have to fly over there and play tourist!!!:biggrin: Oh wait..... cougars... so they would have to be in wheelchairs!!!!:p

Hmmmm.. I may just have to fly over there and play tourist!!!:biggrin: Oh wait..... cougars... so they would have to be in wheelchairs!!!!:p

A Cougar for most of the Hawaii TB enthusiasts would make the wheelchair about right!

If youre staying in Kaanapali and flying into Kahului you might want a car.. there is much to see that you just cat or wont want to on a moped

Buy snorkeling gear?... walmart is in Kahului... so buy some shepa goggles and fins and toss them in the dumpester when you leave... dont rent!

If youre in a condo resort stop by a store and buy your own booze... but if you want to catch a cougar then you might need to spend some time out in the party areas....

Ah, Kaanapali, good choice. You really only need 2 rides if you are staying there, airport to hotel and hotel to airport. Everything else you would need is very nearby. Great action in Whaler's village 1/2 mile from where you are. 4-5 nice resturants and at least as many clubs:cool:. You can pick up snorkeling tours there, or whale watching, fishing, heli tours or whatever. There are a couple spots where the valet guys park cars in downtown because parking is so limited. If you are looking for ANYTHING in particular, ask the valet guys;). Ask them nicely with a Hamilton and they will point you in the right direction. Definatley do your own shopping for snaks and essential beverages, mix your own drinks in the room, it'll save you a small fortune:smile: Make sure you take lotsa pictures. By the pool. And post them here:cool: If you are gonna rent a car, the Hertz agency at the airport has three new Challenger RT's. That's 'RT' as in *NOT* the typical 6 cylinder rental car. Or at least they were new 2 months ago:biggrin: Traction control off please:D

Alan

10-4. Thanks for the info. I will take pictures and post then so you can all live vicariously through me.

Wife and I did it last year in kaanapali staying at the westin villas- see if you got free breakfast buffet with your special. BTW the westin breakfast buffet is $40 a person :eek: So, yeah food is expensive, you can spend over $100 on each meal easily. Highlights- The boat I was on caught a 701# marlin and I had to drive while the cap'n and mate tried to bring it in the boat, in 12-15 ft+ seas. I reeled in a 20# wahoo - excellent aging one day raw in the fridge with some soy sauce and wasabi:D x10000 on the drinks at the resorts being expensive and not much alchohol in them unless you tip extra early on. There are some local restarants that have $10 meals if you ask around. Scenery is nice, should be easy to score just meeting ladies poolside. I'd rent a car again, too much to see. We drove the all day road around the island- its bumpy, but cool.

Pick up a cougar and eat at Mama's Fish House on the north side:biggrin:

Mama's... I never got to eat there on our ventures to Maui... I want the ferry back!

Arrived in Maui. Rented a car. Staying closeby tonight. Thanks for everyones help. Find me and ill buy you some drinks.

Mike

Arrived in Maui. Rented a car. Staying closeby tonight. Thanks for everyones help. Find me and ill buy you some drinks.

Mike

Must be going well-REALLY well, 2.5 days and no posts;) But no poolside pics either:frown:. You owe us a few:D

Alan

Went mtn biking yesterday. My buddy who is way better than me crashed and suffered a major concussion. I had to stay with him at maui memorial hospital for 7hrs while they did a cat scan,a mri and a bunch of tests. The worst part is he could only retain his short term memory for about 3 minutes. I heard the same stupid joke like 200 times that night. He's 95% back to normal but he can't recall certain events in the last few days. We spent the day racing through the road to hana in our pontiac g6 rental car. He's here at the hotel with me but he needs to rest a lot and he can't drink!

I am my own wing man! I'm off to cougar hunt.

Love, Mike

What's up with all these lifted trucks with small/wide tires??? Is that a trend??

yeah... 20's and 22's seem like a shorter tire than it actually is... and yes, current trend... they balance better than those huge 44x15s