matching o2 sensor to ECM on FAST

summit

Had one die on me last weekend. Air fuel readings stuck at 15.9 and not moving. Normally we swap to a new one and load the calibration (AKA moneymaker) disk to get them talking to each other again. Since this sensor had little run time on it I was going to swap O2 and ECM from my other car to rule out a wiring issue. I had the sensor swapped and was booting up the laptop to save the files before swapping ECMs. I noticed the wideband symbol was showing, so I fired it up and it was reading just fine. Did I just happen to get lucky and buy two different Fast setups about 8 years apart that are calibrated the same? I realize I shouldn't trust the accuracy, blah, blah, but I was just looking for movement where there was none before. I guess it is safe to shell out the bucks for a new sensor now. Maybe there is a relatively small number of sensor calibrations and it is not that weird to have a new one work without recalibrating it?

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas

As long as you get the O2 symbol in the corner, then your calibration should be fine. Yes you are right that each O2 has a different calibration, but many have the same values. So if you are able to plug up the other one, and the system recongizes it, then you got lucky that the O2's were close enough in calibration.

Hope that helps some.

summit said:
Had one die on me last weekend. Air fuel readings stuck at 15.9 and not moving. Normally we swap to a new one and load the calibration (AKA moneymaker) disk to get them talking to each other again. Since this sensor had little run time on it I was going to swap O2 and ECM from my other car to rule out a wiring issue. I had the sensor swapped and was booting up the laptop to save the files before swapping ECMs. I noticed the wideband symbol was showing, so I fired it up and it was reading just fine. Did I just happen to get lucky and buy two different Fast setups about 8 years apart that are calibrated the same? I realize I shouldn't trust the accuracy, blah, blah, but I was just looking for movement where there was none before. I guess it is safe to shell out the bucks for a new sensor now. Maybe there is a relatively small number of sensor calibrations and it is not that weird to have a new one work without recalibrating it?

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas

If you want to make sure:
Then look at the sensor, and the matching harness. You'll see 2 wires that don't seem to go anywhere in the sensor side. That's the calibration resistor. Using a high impedance ohm meter, measure them. If they're the same you're one lucky camper. Yes, there are a limited number of calibration resistors used, but I don't know how close the values run. I've seen more then one with the same exact calibration resistor (within a couple ohms). I've not seen any data about the high and low values for the calibration resistor.