Mat sensor

crazygn

10's here i come
Where can i get the MAT sensor , when i call the stores about it they dont know what i am talking about . They said they have a MAP sensor but no MAT sensor for the 87.Change to the 87 ecm

Originally posted by crazygn
Where can i get the MAT sensor , when i call the stores about it they dont know what i am talking about . They said they have a MAP sensor but no MAT sensor for the 87.Change to the 87 ecm

Ask for a IAT (idle air temperature) 86-87 model.

Ok i am going crazy i told them a IAT idle air temp and they come up with none. Do you know what it looks like .Maybe i can look at some of the idle air sensors they have.

Go to the junkyard and find any late 80's fwd or rwd buick 3.8 and look in the intake boot and you will see a sensor that screws into the intake boot. I did the same thing and I pulled the wiring harness all the way to the ecm and then pulled out the wires for the IAT (intake air temp) and wired them into my harness. You can put the IAT sensor anywhere, it doesn't play a big role in the ecm control. If you don't wire one in the SES light will come on and set a code for IAT but the car will run fine.

Originally posted by turbowrenchhead
Go to the junkyard and find any late 80's fwd or rwd buick 3.8 and look in the intake boot and you will see a sensor that screws into the intake boot. I did the same thing and I pulled the wiring harness all the way to the ecm and then pulled out the wires for the IAT (intake air temp) and wired them into my harness. You can put the IAT sensor anywhere, it doesn't play a big role in the ecm control. If you don't wire one in the SES light will come on and set a code for IAT but the car will run fine.

Just a correction for the MAF,
depends on point of veiw as far as *big role* goes.

So i can just run the 87ecm and 87 maf and it will run but ses light will come on.

Originally posted by crazygn
So i can just run the 87ecm and 87 maf and it will run but ses light will come on.

Yup you can..I ran my car like that for about 2 weeks...then I got tired of the SES light at night and put in the sensor!

When i change over to the 87 ecm my tps-tec will be no good any more right. can i still use it with the 87, or only good with the 85 ecm.

So if i plug the new 87 ecm in and just change the maf and chip i could drive the car .

Here is a solution you might try.
Casper's Electronics in IL offers a MAT sensor for around $12 (brand new), and also makes a wiring harness to mount it in your car for around $25. The harness runs all the way from the MAT sensor to the 87 ECM. Just call John Spina at Casper's (847-247-0484). John knows the electrical systems of these 84-87 turbo cars inside out, and makes quite a few electrical parts and harnesses for them. I bought both of these items from him. You can also view his catalog on-line at www.casperselectronics.com. If you have gone to any of the Buick GS Nationals over the last 5 years, you may have seen the car he built - a Ford Cobra with a Grand National engine and drive train in it. It runs in the 11's.