Mass air flow sensor

Nasty Nash

Wanna try and get a new mass air flow sensor for my 85 Grand national any websites you guys might know i cam order it from????

Your best bet would be to convert to a LT1/LS1 MAF sensor and translator setup...but if you want to keep it stock, a tested, known good used one may be your only option...HTH. ---Keith

Hmmmmm whats that set up consist of??? And what would i have to do to change it: parts wise?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Buy a sensor...(LT1 is a 3" diameter sensor, and the LS1 is a 3-1/2" diameter sensor)..and then buy the translator. Fullthrottle, among other vendors here sell both. you can also check the for sale section, or post in the parts wanted section.

Ok ima take a look and see what i can find. Do you have this set up on your GN?

Alright before i do these changes do i have to change anything else??? Since my car is all stock dont really wanna change much besides that right now. And will it run better with the lt1 sensor and translator swap

You shouldn't have to change anything else.....although I had already converted to the 86-87 ECM before I did the LT1/translator swap, so I can't confirm whether or not the ECM upgrade is necessasary...maybe someone else could chime in on that one....??

Oh ok yeah cuz i have the stock ecm in my car. With that 86/87 ecm you changed to did you change the chip in it or is it stock???

My hot air car is far from stock...i never did run a stock chip. you could do a search on converting to the 86-87 ECM and see what others have done.

Yep...it's VERY easy to bleed $$$ into one of these cars, that's for sure. It can snowball before you know it. Are you having issues with your stock MAF?

Yeah my stock maf sensor has been trippen. I tryed cleaning it but still acting up so i guess its time for a new 1

Ok, so I talked to bob bailey (Turbobob) who designed the MAF translator system...this was the conversation:

"Hey bob....(Keith here) got a quick question for you...does the MAF translator require the use of an 86-87 ECM (hot air car) or will it work with the 84-85 ECM?? Any input is appreciated. Thanks."

His response:
"It would work with the 85 ecm, but you would need a custom chip since the translator output emulates the 86-87 maf (custom chip for the ECM)"

HTH

So, I guess the short of it is this:
Unless you get a custom chip, you're stuck with the 84-85 OEM MAF. In order to run a translator, you would need:
Translator
LT1/LS1 MAF
Custom chip
And either ECM would work, but if you are going to all that trouble to convert the MAF, the 86-87 ECM conversion would make sense to do as well...as it would need a chip anyway....make sense??

Do you know the proper chip i would have to use to put in my stock ecm?? My buddy can get me a 86/87 ecm he said for 60 bucks

Yes makes perfect sense. Yeah thats what ima do anyways go the route your telling me. 1of my boys has most of the stuff i need he has a 87gn

Ok last question for you turbonut how do i know what translator to go with if ima go with the LS1 maf sensor?

Either translator will work with either sensor. Translator plus has more features for tunability (adds timing control)

I run a trans plus and one of baileys extender chips and love it.

I hijacked turbonuts's question lol