Mash in egr, get no rpm change

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
I can push in egr diapharagm and get no change at all in engine rpm. It is a good valve, I cleaned pintle and seat area, and diaphragm is good. My intake is stock except for my own port match work.
How in the H#^% can this be?!!
Thanks

So there is not enough exhaust velocity? or something at idle to cause a stall/balk when manually opening valve to full stroke?

The engine should shut off if opened, it does'nt take much.
Youmight have blocked passages in the intake.

Originally posted by Wicked
The engine should shut off if opened, it does'nt take much.
Youmight have blocked passages in the intake.

yep.

Do you have a powerplate without the hole drilled?

Yes, thats what I thought, an immediate change like on any other type motor. Mine doesnt change at all with valve stroking. Unfortunately , no power plate. I wonder if any aluminum filings from the port matching work clogged it? I shot manifold out with hi pressure waterbut didnt remove egr valve when doing that. I wonder if filings could have gathered somewhere and then been sucked into motor. Is there a way to clean passage.
I guess Ill just leave it. I imagine that the only down side of no egr is a cruise, light load ping. Just another reason to kill this Motor and move on-(because of chevy type clearances by machinist morons).
Gracious amigos

Did you have clear EGR passages before you ported the heads? If so, what intake gasket did you use? Felpro by chance? If so, the felpro intake gasket does not have provisions for EGR passages and you would need to drill a passage hole into the gasket prior to bolting the lower intake down (or install a factory lower intake gasket). Been there done that. Finally changed to a factory lower intake gasket.

Hmm, never got email message about postings. Anyhow, not Champions, and did seal egr ports during port job. Also did not use Felpro intake set. I used the Napa Victor Reinz metal tub type that comes with that stupid tiny tube of sealant. Im always paranoid about this metal type gasket working anyway. I do have a 45 mph or so miss when cruising, and boost creep, so there could be a vac leak. Ive checked on the upper side , so a leak would be on lower side. The miss comes and goes. Seems like computer would compensate for no egr in mixture, right? Still wondering if any action is needed. No emmissions here , yet.
Thanks

Originally posted by ThikStik
did seal egr ports during port job.

What does this mean? That you permanently blocked the EGR passage when you ported the intake? If so, then that is the reason there is no RPM change.

Do you have a powerplate without the hole drilled? [/B][/QUOTE]

I do and I can't seem to get my idle right. It will idle down and cut off. I've played with the IAC valve and it still does it. It is a brand new IAC valve. Do I need to drill a hole in my plate or just block the EGR off?

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
Do you have a powerplate without the hole drilled?

I do and I can't seem to get my idle right. It will idle down and cut off. I've played with the IAC valve and it still does it. It is a brand new IAC valve. Do I need to drill a hole in my plate or just block the EGR off? [/B]

The EGR is closed during idle, so it doesn't affect idle quality, and doesn't matter if the hole is drilled. What are your IAC numbers, and TPS setting?

ThikStik - If the EGR ports in the heads were filled, then the Exhaust Gases can't get Recirculated back into the airflow through the intake regardless of whether the EGR valve is working or not.

Later,
Ed

It's been a while since I cranked it up. I remember they used to hang around 00 alot. My tps is .44 at idle and @ 4.6 or so at WOT. I'll play with the IAC valve more when I get time to mess with the car.

Goftsbuick,
It means that I cant type! No, I did not seal any passages in the ported 8445's Im using. Also Im not using any power plate. Nothing like adding to the confusion.

ThikStik.
get an old speedometer cable and connect one end to an electric drill. Remove your EGR valve and drop the other end (of the speedo cable into the exhaust port. Hit the button on the drill and the cable should break up the carbon clogging the EGR exhaust port. I would suggest removing the crossover to allow the carbon to fall to the ground and not pass by your turbo. I would think that if your egr passages are plugged, you would be able to remove the EGR valve, plug the EGR intake port and start the engine. Remove the plug to determine if vacuum exsist on the intake side and no exhaust gases are coming out of the exhaust side.