Map/ Dome Light.

Calia22

So this sounds like such a stupid thing to ask but when i bought my car my map light was never installed into the ABS headliner. it has never really bothered me until now. I am just not sure how my map light attaches to the roof. is it with screws? There are 3 little holes in my headliner, which i am guessing 2 are for screws and the other is for wiring. a little insight would help me before i wind up breaking something haha! thanks!

Hello,

We recently installed an LED dome light from Kirban products.

If you look under the headliner you should be able to see two "studs" coming down, front to back, from the roof....the front one appears to be shorter; we thought ours was actually broken off, but it was just shorter. The plastic light bezel has two holes in it, and they just push up over the studs, then ours had two small flat washer/spiral type nuts that push on and hold it all in place.

You may have to trim the headliner towards the rear stud to get enough room to install bezel. It was a little bit of a "job" because you're working in a small area trying not to tear or break anything, so take your time. Make sure the holes are in the right place; we just followed directions from our G body parts headliner.

Once everything was is the LED makes plenty light. Good luck

Bob

Bob, you saved me. Now i just need to find some hardware to fit it. are you talking about those speednuts? The little BS sheetmetal things that can hold up about a tic-tac's worth of weight ?

Bob, you saved me. Now i just need to find some hardware to fit it. are you talking about those speednuts? The little BS sheetmetal things that can hold up about a tic-tac's worth of weight ?

Yes, sort of...little flat sheet metal things.....They push up over the stud and they have little "barbs" in the center that hold to the post. They're a real PITA to get off because of the design; they're not a conventional nut, and there's no real tool to take em off. We used a small screwdriver to pry them off...not the greatest design GM ever came up with, but I guess they never planned on a few "hard-core" gearheads to be replacing headliners THIRTY years later..??
PM me if you have any other questions

Bob

they are a perfect design for slamming something together really fast on cars that are sliding past on the line every 30 seconds or so... like every other oddball fastener that was used in cars over the years, i've seen them in the Help! section of auto parts stores dirt cheap... you just put it in a small socket (1/4" or so) and push them over the stud until whatever you are fastening in place is secure.